PDA

View Full Version : screen blanking on boot

edraven
08-15-2003, 07:20 PM
I get "You passed an unefined mode number", then I pick one from the menu, then I see booting the kernel, then it goes black.

I've tried setting screen=800x600 and fb800x600 and knoppix-txt and nothing fixes it.

I'm using a Micron Millennia Transport laptop.

rickenbacherus
08-15-2003, 08:36 PM
What video card does your laptop use?

jaylalaine
08-15-2003, 09:00 PM
i am running ( or more like trying to run) damn smll linux ( knoppix remastered) and i get the same prolem

the kernel loads i think but it just goes black

on both laptop toshiba p133
and a desktop with an sis chipset

please help

Descentlvr
09-27-2003, 09:26 AM
My Sager NP4760 laptop:
Chipset: SiS M650/962
ATI Radeon Mobility 9000
PhoenixBIOS

There are major problems between linux kernels and this laptop. The newest version of Mandrake's kernel that will load is 2.4-8, THAT'S MDK 8.1!!!
2.4.22 black screen when kernel loads (like right after you push enter when the CD boots)
2.4.21 same thing with the exception of Severn (Redhat beta)
2.4.20 this works. CoolLinux, SuSE8.2, Slackware 9.0, and every other distro/version with a 2.4.20 kernel with 1 exception, and I forget what that exception is
2.4.19 doesn't work, black screen thing where system just dies

KNOPPIX 3.1-3.3 will not work :-( however MEPIS works perfectly, including my Orinoco WLAN card, and is totally awesome. I'm currently using SuSE 8.2 and I don't really like it

sokminer
02-12-2004, 03:16 PM
I got knoppix to run to some degree on my Micron XPe, P166 32Mb RAM, 2Gb HDD by using the knoppix noscsi option. However the splashscreen still screwed up my video.

I've real success with feather linux (knoppix remaster) vesa, 800x600 16bit depth, on this machine. you might try that with the same options. BTW nousb and noagp free up a shade of memory.

Duncan R. Bell
03-22-2004, 01:58 PM
I get "You passed an unefined mode number", then I pick one from the menu, then I see booting the kernel, then it goes black.

I've tried setting screen=800x600 and fb800x600 and knoppix-txt and nothing fixes it.

Hi!
I'm just now trying to load Knoppix 3.3 on a Texas Instruments TravelMate 6160 (Pentium 166).

After booting, I've also experienced the same blank screen, with 1 line of flashing (illegible) colour and text at the top. I tried different modes, (and different switches as listed in the cheats file) and finally just pressed Return, to continue loading with the default.

I tried lots of different key combinations then, and found out I could "restore" the correct display by pressing the left-hand Shift and Ctrl keys (press Shift, hold it down, press Ctrl). It works in the opposite sequence too! The display is then perfect for 1 minute, and then disappears again. I've done this multiple times as I type this message!

I'm waiting to see if Knoppix loads and runs: the mouse is working :)

See if that works for you.

Duncan

Duncan R. Bell
03-22-2004, 02:36 PM
This is a follow-up to my previous message today on laptop black screen on booting.

If the display keeps disappearing during booting, you can also hold down Shift & Ctrl to force display of the messages displayed, so you can keep an eye on the booting status.

Duncan

Hi!
I'm just now trying to load Knoppix 3.3 on a Texas Instruments TravelMate 6160 (Pentium 166).

After booting, I've also experienced the same blank screen, with 1 line of flashing (illegible) colour and text at the top. I tried different modes, (and different switches as listed in the cheats file) and finally just pressed Return, to continue loading with the default.

I tried lots of different key combinations then, and found out I could "restore" the correct display by pressing the left-hand Shift and Ctrl keys (press Shift, hold it down, press Ctrl). It works in the opposite sequence too! The display is then perfect for 1 minute, and then disappears again. I've done this multiple times as I type this message!

I'm waiting to see if Knoppix loads and runs: the mouse is working :)

See if that works for you.

Duncan

johnb
03-23-2004, 04:53 AM
You passed an unefined mode number

I get that same error and fixed it by adding cheat code:

knoppix vga=normal

johnb

Duncan R. Bell
03-23-2004, 09:50 AM
Re:
Quote: You passed an unefined mode number

"I get that same error and fixed it by adding cheat code:

Code: knoppix vga=normal " (posted by johnb)

Thanks! That has also worked on my prblematic wee laptop (Pentium 166, Texas Instruments TravelMate 6160).

Currently I can boot the laptop, with this switch:

Code: knoppix vga=normal nopcmcia nousb noapm

The pcmcia card manager has a version problem, and there are no usb ports. Advanced power management is causing the real problem.

Now, however, the text in the menus, when it all finally loads, is pale (yellow?) on white, and I can't read them: I'm going to look in other postings for a solution!

Duncan
[/quote]

johnb
03-23-2004, 03:48 PM
right click on the desktop and choose configure desktop. You can change the font colors to you liking and lots of other choices are available.
johnb

Duncan R. Bell
03-23-2004, 04:09 PM
right click on the desktop and choose configure desktop. You can change the font colors to you liking and lots of other choices are available.
johnb

Thanks for the suggestion! In fact, I couldn't read the texts at all, due to the grainy display, and white text font. This was all due to having the wrong resolution and colour depth settings, but I found a solution, which I've posted to this (Laptops) section on the site: I got the display setting right, and the colours and fonts were fine after that.

Now I just need to get the PCMCIA Card Manager to work, and I'm laughing: there is apparently a version problem (error message I get).

I ultimately want to put two network cards in the laptop and use it as an Internet firewall, so I need the PCMCIA slots!

Duncan

johnb
03-29-2004, 03:39 PM
Hey,on my laptop I can left click on my battery icon and get a menu asking if I want to enable my pcmcia slot!

johnb

Duncan R. Bell
03-29-2004, 04:00 PM
Hey,on my laptop I can left click on my battery icon and get a menu asking if I want to enable my pcmcia slot!

johnb

Tremendous: I'll give that a go tonight - I'm meant to be "working" at the moment :)

Duncan

Descentlvr
06-18-2004, 10:25 PM
Knoppix 3.4 works GREAT on my Sager 4760, but you must use the 2.6 kernel. Sound, auto-detection, starts up wifi as soon as I put my ORINOCO PCMCIA WLAN card in, it's very, very nice. Mandrake 10 also runs on here, as well as an old MEPIS (2003.08) but it's all good guys. I recommend Knoppix of course :-)