PDA

View Full Version : nvidea kernel patch

ferreter
08-15-2003, 07:53 PM
Hello all,

I'm slowly getting everything up to par on my machine. One quick question though, I have a nvidea based card and noticed that when i was looking for the kernel-sources deb package that there is a nvidea-kernel patch that I can add to my kernel. Is this a recommended process to get the most out of my video card?

As always, Thanks :)

bamarob
08-15-2003, 09:57 PM
I downloaded the latest drivers from Nvidia's site and followed their directions. Works great.

Doc
08-15-2003, 09:59 PM
Hmmm, not sure bout that one, but I also have Nvidia gfx (GF4Ti4200). I downloaded and installed the driver from www.Nvidia.com and after searching this forum for instructions had it up and running with full hardware acceleration in minutes.

Will check out the kernel patch, didn't know bout that :D

ferreter
08-17-2003, 08:42 PM
Hmmm, not sure bout that one, but I also have Nvidia gfx (GF4Ti4200). I downloaded and installed the driver from www.Nvidia.com and after searching this forum for instructions had it up and running with full hardware acceleration in minutes.

I downloaded the nvidia script as directed ( NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg2.run), they didn't appear to have the source availible. But when run it doesn't really accomplish anything other than producing errors. It seems that it cannot find the kernel sources I installed (2.4.21). Simply using the patch from the debian tree doesn't seem to work. I feel like I'm missing something totally obvious here.... I hate that feeling :x
Should I perhaps move the source from /usr/src/linux-source-2.4.21 to /usr/src/linux?

Dave_Bechtel
08-18-2003, 12:58 AM
--You need to post the *specific* error messages that the nvidia script is giving you. Outside of that you can try ' cd /usr/src; ln linux-2.4.21 linux -sfn ' to just create a symlink.

I downloaded the nvidia script as directed ( NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg2.run), they didn't appear to have the source availible. But when run it doesn't really accomplish anything other than producing errors. It seems that it cannot find the kernel sources I installed (2.4.21). Simply using the patch from the debian tree doesn't seem to work. I feel like I'm missing something totally obvious here.... I hate that feeling :x
Should I perhaps move the source from /usr/src/linux-source-2.4.21 to /usr/src/linux?

Doc
08-18-2003, 01:05 AM
Just remembered a post that helped me...

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2037#9699

Good luck :D