PDA

View Full Version : lilo wont detect my winxp partition

bitwarrior
08-16-2003, 12:42 AM
I just installed knoppix with lilo bootloader. i tried adding my winxp partition to the bootloader, but when i run "lilo" it adds knoppix but turns out

Fatal: Partition entry not found. I have checked, and double checked that it is pointing to the right partition. here is that part of my lilo.conf file

other=/dev/hdc1
label="windowsXP"
table=/dev/hdc1

any help would be great, thanks!

rickenbacherus
08-16-2003, 03:35 AM
I just installed knoppix with lilo bootloader. i tried adding my winxp partition to the bootloader, but when i run "lilo" it adds knoppix but turns out

Fatal: Partition entry not found. I have checked, and double checked that it is pointing to the right partition. here is that part of my lilo.conf file

other=/dev/hdc1
label="windowsXP"
table=/dev/hdc1

any help would be great, thanks!

According to your post you have 3 hard drives and XP is on the first partition of the third hard drive. Since windoze is not smart enought to install itself on anything but the first hdd you would needed to trick it into installing on the third hard drive. Did you?

If not you need to point LILO to /dev/hda1 for your XP install. I don't use windows however I do know that 98 and 2k will boot without the "table=" line. Don't forget to run lilo after you edit it.

sudo /sbin/lilo

garyng
08-16-2003, 03:57 AM
According to your post you have 3 hard drives and XP is on the first partition of the third hard drive. Since windoze is not smart enought to install itself on anything but the first hdd you would needed to trick it into installing on the third hard drive. Did you?

Not exactly true. XP(or all flavors of Windows based on NT) can be installed to any partition of choice. The boot loader however will always go to hda.

My WAG why lilo bark could be that it tries to verify the hdc1 boot sector for signature but failed as there isn't such a thing there. The boot loader is at hda1. Since it is lilo, it should have been saved somewhere when lilo replace the boot sector(be it MBR or partition one) with its own. it should be under /boot/ if memory serve. However, I don't think lilo can chainload an on-disk file(this is why I like GRUB, much flexible).

edit:

try to see if there is /boot/boot.0301 or /boot/boot.0300

As for how to restore it, I need to know your configuration, the whole partition list for each drive before I can think of a possible solution.