PDA

View Full Version : Network problems

Aleu
08-16-2003, 06:20 AM
Hi guys,

I know taht this topic has appeared here a couple of times. I have checked the Forum but didn't find the answer.
I have some problems with accessing the Internet from my KNOPPIX CD.
1. I have checked ifconfig and found that my IP was 127.0.0.1 but the network card looked to me to be not installed.
2. I have changed the network adapter (another PCMCIA card) and KNOPPIX got it. However Internet still doesn't work.
If I run netcardconfig it asks me whether I want to use DHCP I have answered YES. After that KNOPPIX freezes. The only thing I can do is to restart the computer (laptop HP ZE4125) and run it again.
My network configuration is as follows:
Internet access from COX (cable modem) connected to a router and then my laptop to one of the router ports.
I have tried almost everything. I have connected my laptop directly to the exit of the cable modem, but still nothing!
I have checked different network cards and the one that is recognized by KNOPPIX is the 3COM Megahertz 10/100 PCMCIA.

Please anybody here who could spend a while on guiding me through this?
Thanks in advance.

captainhannes
08-16-2003, 10:51 PM
I'm new here and have tried K only once at the company (waiting for a RAM module for my laptop in order to run it at home), but...

Internet access from COX (cable modem) connected to a router and then my laptop to one of the router ports.

Are you sure you have DHCP ?
I had such a config option once while being in a LAN, where the server/router served DHCP...

As you say, if you choose DHCP and it freezes, try it without.

Greetings,
Hannes.