PDA

View Full Version : To EADZ:What is your opinion on YOPER

bongski55
08-17-2003, 07:49 AM
I see that you are from New Zealand so I want your opinion on Yoper,please.

eadz
08-17-2003, 08:51 AM
I see that you are from New Zealand so I want your opinion on Yoper,please.

I havn't tried it..
I got put off by the article in our local Newspaper, the NZ herald :
the article (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3097027&thesection=technology&thesubsection=general)
in particlular, this quote is hardly true :

A New Zealand version of the Linux operating system aimed at supplanting Windows on desktop PCs is outpacing major versions such as Red Hat Linux and Mandrake on a download rating site.

Yoper, from an Auckland Linux consultancy of the same name, became number one on Linux download monitoring site DistroWatch.com over the weekend, two weeks before the commercial release of the product.

I mean, distrowatch isn't a Linux download monitoring site, it tracks page views, and at the time Yoper was advertising on distrowatch, inflating the page rank. So for Yoper to mislead the NZ herald like this just made me ignore it completely.

stevendonato
08-26-2003, 10:51 PM
Sounds like the News Paper is like JD POWERS here in the USA. They rate evey car as the best in it's class. ALL paying customers are always the best. I guess there are only #1 cars.

Email them and give them a piece of your mind and the NewsPaper, for not doing Journalistic reasearch. Although we see by the recent firing of Journalist at the New York Times, real Journalist/truthfull are getting extinct.

bongski55
08-27-2003, 09:48 AM
In fact I had a really serious post on the yoper forum because I had tried yoper and my install had many problems notably the slowness of the menu.
I critiziced the description of yoper to be the "perfect" OS. The word perfect was removed from the home page. I have not bothered to try the latest again.Besides it is not a freeware distro,unlike knoppix.