PDA

View Full Version : kernel upgrade

ferreter
08-19-2003, 07:58 PM
hello,
I followed the directions on installing a custom kernel (I chose 2.4.21) but after I reboot it refuses to load up modules of any sort. I changed the lilo.conf to point to the new kernel but when it boots (and fails to start graphical login due to the missing modules) and I do a uname -r I still get the 2.4.20-xfs version of the kernel running. It appears to be trying to load the 2.4.20-xfs modules which don't seem to exist anymore. How did I fubar this one up?

Dave_Bechtel
08-19-2003, 10:23 PM
--You did do ' make modules && make modules_install ' and ' depmod -a ', right?

--You should also ' cd /lib/modules; ln 2.4.21 preferred -sfn '.

--And remember to keep a backup of good running kernel+modules always in lilo, in case these changes don't work. ;-)

hello,
I followed the directions on installing a custom kernel (I chose 2.4.21) but after I reboot it refuses to load up modules of any sort. I changed the lilo.conf to point to the new kernel but when it boots (and fails to start graphical login due to the missing modules) and I do a uname -r I still get the 2.4.20-xfs version of the kernel running. It appears to be trying to load the 2.4.20-xfs modules which don't seem to exist anymore. How did I fubar this one up?