PDA

View Full Version : Playign MP3s from another Partition

Cronos55
08-20-2003, 05:02 AM
Hi all'
Well I seem to be getting the hang of the different steps of this OS, I seem to have come to a point where I can't fimd what I need to do to get xmms to play my MP3s that are stored in it's own HD where I store all of my Media files. If anyone has any idea where to start a little help can go a long way :shock:

Stephen
08-20-2003, 05:35 AM
Hi all'
Well I seem to be getting the hang of the different steps of this OS, I seem to have come to a point where I can't fimd what I need to do to get xmms to play my MP3s that are stored in it's own HD where I store all of my Media files. If anyone has any idea where to start a little help can go a long way :shock:

Generally you would need to have the partition (drive) mounted and then use XMMS to either play a file or directory location. I have all my mp3's in one big partition which is mounted as stangely enough /music, you would maybe want to make your mount maybe a /media directory off / with mkdir media in the / directory and then mount /dev/hd?? /media if you want it mounted every time at boot then edit the file /etc/fstab and add the proper line for your media drive partition.

If you need more help than this could you post the output of fdisk -l /dev/hd? of the drive the media files are stored on so I can give you the exact commands required also you do not mention if you are running from HD install or CD the instructions above would be for a HD install if running from CD you should just mount the partition with the media files and then use XMMS to play the files. Also all commands mentioned are executed as root.

Cronos55
08-20-2003, 07:16 PM
Thanks for your tips on what I can try. I will get to what you said to direct my mountpoint, as for the fdisk post:

Disk /dev/hdb5: 1087 MB, 1087898112 bytes
64 heads, 63 sectors/track, 526 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 4032 * 512 = 2064384 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hdb5p1 ? 1 1 0 0 Empty
Partition 1 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
phys=(0, 0, 0) logical=(0, 0, 1)
Partition 1 has different physical/logical endings:
phys=(0, 0, 0) logical=(1065220, 4, 4)
Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.

This is what it shows. Any thoughts? :idea:

Cronos55
08-21-2003, 11:48 AM
Stephen wrote:
[/quote] Generally you would need to have the partition (drive) mounted and then use XMMS to either play a file or directory location. I have all my mp3's in one big partition which is mounted as stangely enough /music, you would maybe want to make your mount maybe a /media directory off / with mkdir media in the / directory and then mount /dev/hd?? /media if you want it mounted every time at boot then edit the file /etc/fstab and add the proper line for your media drive partition.

I tried what you suggested but still no MP3s :cry:
Will look at how the directory points to my HD and see what I missed[/b]

Stephen
08-21-2003, 09:10 PM
So there is only one extended partition on the whole drive?? After you have mounted the partition can you see the files in there if you do a ls -l if so you should be able to play them with XMMS. Could you post the ouput of the mount command with the partition mounted and the line you use in the /etc/fstab?

Cronos55
08-22-2003, 04:54 AM
After I tried to look into the mounted HD I saw no files. I use it only for MP3s. this is the mount directory:
root@Snap:/mnt# ls -la
total 48
drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 4096 Aug 16 23:30 .
drwxr-xr-x 29 root root 4096 Aug 21 14:24 ..
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Aug 18 2002 auto
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Aug 16 23:10 floppy -> /mnt/auto/floppy
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Aug 16 23:30 hda1
drwxrwxrwx 4 knoppix knoppix 28672 Jan 1 1970 hdb5
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 May 31 2001 test
I should be able to read file from hdb5 right? I mounted it as " mount /dev/hdb5 /music. This is what my fstab shows :# /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
#
# filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass
/dev/hda2 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/hda3 none swap sw 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
/dev/cdrw /cdrw iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/cdrom1 /cdrom1 iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/dvd /dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/cdaudio /cdaudio iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hdb5 /mnt/hdb5 vfat auto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppix 0 0. What am I missing? :x

Stephen
08-22-2003, 06:29 AM
After I tried to look into the mounted HD I saw no files. I use it only for MP3s. this is the mount directory:
root@Snap:/mnt# ls -la
total 48
drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 4096 Aug 16 23:30 .
drwxr-xr-x 29 root root 4096 Aug 21 14:24 ..
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Aug 18 2002 auto
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Aug 16 23:10 floppy -> /mnt/auto/floppy
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Aug 16 23:30 hda1
drwxrwxrwx 4 knoppix knoppix 28672 Jan 1 1970 hdb5
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 May 31 2001 test
I should be able to read file from hdb5 right? I mounted it as " mount /dev/hdb5 /music.

Yes you should be able to read a file in the /music directory from the mounted /dev/hdb5 as /music, the hdb5 in the /mnt directory does not come in to use as the mount point for the command you used above.

This is what my fstab shows :

# /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
#
# filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hdb5 /mnt/hdb5 vfat auto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppix 0 0. What am I missing? :x

Here you are mounting the /dev/hdb5 as /mnt/hdb5 on boot this may be causing the problems. You should change the /mnt/hdb5 to /music if that is the mount point that you wish to use for MP3's or access them at /mnt/hdb5 and not use the command above after booting.

Here an example of what the mount command should show you from my computer:

HappyTux:/home/stephen# mount
/dev/hda1 on / type reiserfs (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
/dev/hda4 on /home type ext3 (rw)
/dev/hda5 on /music type ext3 (rw)
none on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)

Yours should look similar after you have made the changes to the /etc/fstab and re-booted.

Cronos55
08-23-2003, 12:06 AM
I'm not sure what you mean but I saw something in you fstab that wasn't in mine: [quote] Here an example of what the mount command should show you from my computer:

Code:

none on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw), mine shows: # filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hdb5 /mnt/hdb5 vfat auto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppix 0 0. wher your's show your filesystem as type ext3, mine shows filesystem as type vfat. Could that be the problem

:?:

garyng
08-23-2003, 12:13 AM
what does 'cat /proc/mounts' give ?

Stephen
08-23-2003, 02:14 AM
I'm not sure what you mean but I saw something in you fstab that wasn't in mine: [quote] Here an example of what the mount command should show you from my computer:

Code:

none on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw), mine shows: # filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hdb5 /mnt/hdb5 vfat auto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppix 0 0. wher your's show your filesystem as type ext3, mine shows filesystem as type vfat. Could that be the problem

:?:

The output from above is from just the mount command it shows the file systems that are in use by your OS it is not the /etc/fstab. Your filesystem type should be either type vfat or ntfs if you are using a recent version of windows unless you formatted the drive with linux.

Travdecool
08-23-2003, 03:47 AM
i still cant even get sound outta my knoppix box, consider yourself lucky!!

Cronos55
08-23-2003, 04:43 AM
Stephen wrote: [quote]what does 'cat /proc/mounts' give ?[quote]It says "rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
/dev/root.old /initrd ext2 rw 0 0
/dev/hda2 / ext3 rw 0 0
none /proc proc rw 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw 0 0"
I used Partitionmagic to formate the HD. I am using Windoze 98se OS

Cronos55
08-23-2003, 05:08 AM
Just made a a discovery. I moved all my MP3s to hda1 and opened the partition and then th folder"My Music". Gues what the files played. Now all I have to do is point to them and see if I can load all of the ffiles :D I know I can't mkdir My Music so will rename folder and and make a mountpoint to hda1. "mount /dev/hda1 /music. What do you think :?:

garyng
08-23-2003, 05:25 AM
Stephen wrote: [quote]what does 'cat /proc/mounts' give ?[quote]It says "rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
/dev/root.old /initrd ext2 rw 0 0
/dev/hda2 / ext3 rw 0 0
none /proc proc rw 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw 0 0"
I used Partitionmagic to formate the HD. I am using Windoze 98se OS

I don't think you have the partition where your MP3 is stored mounted based on this. you only have /dev/hda2 mounted as 'root' where linux is stored. That is why you can see the content, unlike window, you have to mount the drive/partition before you can see it under linux(including floppy). This is quite confusing for users window.

Dave_Bechtel
08-23-2003, 06:33 AM
You guys may be attacking this from the wrong direction. If fdisk can't see the disk then there's no point trying to mount anything on it.

However: Did you actually enter ' fdisk -l /dev/hdb ' or something different?

Thanks for your tips on what I can try. I will get to what you said to direct my mountpoint, as for the fdisk post:

Disk /dev/hdb5: 1087 MB, 1087898112 bytes
64 heads, 63 sectors/track, 526 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 4032 * 512 = 2064384 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hdb5p1 ? 1 1 0 0 Empty
Partition 1 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
phys=(0, 0, 0) logical=(0, 0, 1)
Partition 1 has different physical/logical endings:
phys=(0, 0, 0) logical=(1065220, 4, 4)
Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.

This is what it shows. Any thoughts? :idea:

Cronos55
08-23-2003, 02:31 PM
:D Hey everyone, after farther investigatiton I realized we wer attacking the problem wrong. I stopped and looked at it as a windoze problem and was able to fix it/ I said much props to all who kicked the cobwebs out of my head to think this out. I moved all of the MP3s in hdb5 to hda1 in windoze then lanched konppix and was able to open hba1 and see all the files in a folder I moved them to. It was a matter of making a directory music the just copy all files to /home/music directory and ahla I had music in my xxms. thank guys