PDA

View Full Version : windows 2000 Pro & qtpated

mailman42
08-20-2003, 06:53 AM
I have a friend who is getting very frustrated with his windows 2000 pro install, and is seriously considering install knoppix.

My question(s) concern qtparted, and the stability to resize an NTFS partition.

He has alot of windos data (text/pics/etc) from the past that he doesnt' want to lose, and I want to make sure that it's pretty idiot proof, so I don't lose any of his data.

Are there any special considerations, gotchas, etc I should be aware of, before I attempt to repartition his drive, and bring him into the Linux/debian/knoppix world?

Thanks

Stephen
08-20-2003, 08:01 AM
My question(s) concern qtparted, and the stability to resize an NTFS partition.

While I have never done the procedure I have seen posts of success re-sizing one that sticks out in my memory is this one (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3456#16310) by Eadz.

He has alot of windos data (text/pics/etc) from the past that he doesnt' want to lose, and I want to make sure that it's pretty idiot proof, so I don't lose any of his data.

All data should be backed up and the backup verified before attempting a procedure like this there are no idiot proof methods for anything there is always something that can go wrong.

Are there any special considerations, gotchas, etc I should be aware of, before I attempt to repartition his drive, and bring him into the Linux/debian/knoppix world?

Thanks

As mentioned by Eadz in his post the drive should be defragged before the attempt.

aay
08-20-2003, 02:54 PM

Thanks

One very important sugestion here. I tried using Qtparted to install Knoppix on a friend's computer, but Qtparted failed because the drive was too fragmented. Have your friend defragment the drive before you come over. Sometimes this takes quite a while in Windows, so I recommend your friend start defraging a while before you come over.

mailman42
08-20-2003, 04:26 PM
aay & Stephen,

Thank you. I really do appreciate the report, and the pointer. I have them emailed to my friend, and printed out for the next few weeks.