PDA

View Full Version : Connecting to the internet

Realyze
08-20-2003, 02:42 PM
I was wondering how to configure my internet options in knoppix. I can't seem to connect to the internet. I have a cable connection.

aay
08-20-2003, 03:11 PM
Ok, if your connection isn't automatically detected, then the first and easiest thing to do is to run netcardconfig. Try running that and walking through the dhcp setup (presuming your router or cable modem is setup to hand out addresses via dhcp.)

aay
08-20-2003, 03:13 PM
One more thing. You did not specifiy any details of your connection. Do you have an ethernet card in your computer? Are you connecting usb? To a cable modem or router? More details please.

Realyze
08-20-2003, 03:58 PM
I'm using a ethernet card with a cable modem

aay
08-20-2003, 06:45 PM
Ok. Have you run netcardconfig yet? Try that as it's the easiest way to set up an ethernet card.

If you run it and it says no ethernet card detected, then we've got to check out your card a little more carefully. If that happens, you need to post the output of the following two commands:

dmesg (this will display all the information that is shown during bootup - including hardware detection messages)

lspci (this will display which pci devices are attached to your motherboard and detected by knoppix)

If you want to export the out of these commands to text files then do this.

dmesg > dmesg.txt
lspci > lspci.txt

So try netcardconfig out first and then if you need to do so, investigate things as I have indicated above. Post back the info if netcardconfig doesn't work.