PDA

View Full Version : CD-Burner

ferreter
08-20-2003, 07:56 PM
Hello all,

I installed knoppix to my HD via knoppix-installer. I set up the Nvidia drivers, get netoworking going, and upgraded my kernel to 2.4.21. But when I try to use K3b to burn a CD the drop down control for selecting the device is empty. Am I missing something here?

Thanks.

ferreter
08-20-2003, 08:10 PM
Ok, here's the deal. I can play a music CD from cdrom0 but can't seem to mount it in kde to display data CDs. I can mount and view CD's in my CD-RW but cannot burn CDs to it. wtf? Now I had to manually create the CD-RW icon on the desktop (right click, new, CD-ROM), does that have anything to do with my issues?

Thanks again.

rickenbacherus
08-20-2003, 08:42 PM
First you'll need to configure k3b. Here is a post (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2107#9965) about it. Secondly if you've done the k3b setup your /etc/fstab file is probably hosed. If you could post it please. Also post the output of cdrecord -scanbus. Since you have a cdburner in your system Linux is using SCSI emulation to access your drives. Therefor they will be listed on the SCSI bus. Try this:

ls -al /dev/cdrom It should be a symbolic link to one of your drives. If it is a symlink to the wrong drive then it's not going to work. Post some details and we can go from there.

ferreter
08-20-2003, 08:55 PM
fstab

# /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
#
# filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass
/dev/hda3 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/cdrom1 /cdrom1 iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/dvd /dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/cdaudio /cdaudio iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ext2 noauto,users,exec 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda2 none swap defaults 0 0

ls -al /dev/cdrom

/dev/cdrom -> /dev/scd0

cdrecord -scanbus

Cdrecord 2.01a16 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2003 Jörg Schilling
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.25
Using libscg version 'schily-0.7'
scsibus0:
0,0,0 0) 'MITSUMI ' 'CD-ROM FX4824T!B' 'Q01E' Removable CD-ROM
0,1,0 1) ' ' '52X24X52 CD-RW ' '1.05' Removable CD-ROM
0,2,0 2) *
0,3,0 3) *
0,4,0 4) *
0,5,0 5) *
0,6,0 6) *
0,7,0 7) *

In K3b I attempt to add the /dev/cdrom1 device (as it correctly points to scd1) but it states that no device was found.

Thanks for your assistance.

Stephen
08-20-2003, 09:02 PM
/dev/cdrom1 /cdrom1 iso9660 ...

In K3b I attempt to add the /dev/cdrom1 device (as it correctly points to scd1) but it states that no device was found.

Change the /dev/cdrom1 to /dev/scd1 in the /etc/fstab and it should work fine you may want to make sure that the mount point /cdrom1 actually exists I usually use mkdir burner as root in the / directory and then use this for a mount point eg. /dev/scd1 /burner iso9660 ....

ferreter
08-20-2003, 09:55 PM
/dev/cdrom1 /cdrom1 iso9660 ...

Change the /dev/cdrom1 to /dev/scd1 in the /etc/fstab and it should work fine you may want to make sure that the mount point /cdrom1 actually exists I usually use mkdir burner as root in the / directory and then use this for a mount point eg. /dev/scd1 /burner iso9660 ....

I did this, but still k3b has my burner listed under the reader section of the devices rather than the writer section and quite obviously will not burn anything. I changed the fstab entry to not be ro but rather rw as well if that makes a difference.

As for the other odd issue, I was able to setup a new icon in my desktop to allow a right-click mount option where on the other icon it only gives me the option to play the CD. Can I not have both functionalities for the CD-ROM in one icon (both audio and data)?

Stephen
08-21-2003, 12:13 AM
I did this, but still k3b has my burner listed under the reader section of the devices rather than the writer section and quite obviously will not burn anything. I changed the fstab entry to not be ro but rather rw as well if that makes a difference.

Does not suprise me K3b seems to have many problems you may want to try installing XCDRoast the few times that I have used it, it worked without problems. If you want to test if your burner is working you can from the command line cdrecord -v -dummy -eject speed=4 dev=0,1,0 file.name which would run a test burn at 4x speed with the file you choose. Also you do not need the rw option in the /etc/fstab.

As for the other odd issue, I was able to setup a new icon in my desktop to allow a right-click mount option where on the other icon it only gives me the option to play the CD. Can I not have both functionalities for the CD-ROM in one icon (both audio and data)?

Never knew the audio option existed I usually use the command line to access CD's so I can't be much help there.

monkymind
08-21-2003, 01:09 AM
I had the same problem when I upgraded cdrecord etc a while back.

IIRC
- Under K3B the writer shows up only as a reader.
- Works if logged in as root
- Even if you are listed as a user in K3B setup it still doesn't work

It was a while ago so bear with me as I try to remember........................
I think it had something to do with permissions. Something was changed
when the newer version was installed!?

Let me know if it runs as root.

Good Luck
rob

rickenbacherus
08-21-2003, 02:38 AM

Most Linux apps will try to use /dev/cdroom by default. If this is the case with k3b then you just need to symlink /dev/cdromk to your burner. It's easy:

As root...
rm -f /dev/cdrom
ln -s /dev/scd1 /dev/cdrom

That should have made a symbolic link from /dev/scd1 (your cd burner) to /dev/cdrom. How do you find out?

ls -al /dev/cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Aug 3 06:53 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/scd1

If your output looks like the above then you were successful. Also make sure you have selected the proper cdrdao driver in k3b configure. Usually generic-mmc will work.

Desktop icons? Hmmmm heard of em but that's about it. ;) It's just easier to mount them manually, besides do you actually ever see your desktop? I don't but that's just me.