PDA

View Full Version : Mozilla menu font

hugo
08-20-2003, 08:01 PM
The mozilla menu font in knoppix 3.2 (07/25/2003) is very small. The only hits I find on this prob. is to change userChrome.css. True. But there is something else going on: I use the very same mozilla on a HD partition with Debian Sarge without any userChrome at all and that menu font looks beautiful. The latter does not use KDE but fvwm2. Anybody have a clue other than changing userChrome.css?
BTW there was a post on this
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32#93
but that is very outdated because all his references are not found. That post ought to be removed.
Thank you.
Hugo

hugo
08-21-2003, 09:05 PM
Beats me why nobody else has, or notices this. Anyway, found the answer. The appearance of the font that Mozilla will use is determined by what the X server uses for resolution.
If you look into /etc/kde3/kdm/servers of the Knoppix CD you will see it set to 75, so all characters in Mozilla's menu, etc. (NOT the fonts of the displayed pages, those are set with the preferences menu) are very small.
If you change -dpi 75 to -dpi 120 then the menus look much better. I also changed my screen size to 1280x1024 which may have something to do with it. On the HD install, that is, you cannot restart X on the CD.
Thanks all! On to remastering.

Hugo.

hugo
08-24-2003, 12:06 AM
And.. it isn't true: changing -dvi in xsession has no effect in some circumstances:
1. when you use XFree86 -configure you get (I get?) a better screen resolution but -dvi has no effect on the menufonts of Mozilla.
2. when you use Knoppix's XF86Config-4 they do have an effect.
Also Knoppix's Mozilla Debian package has mozilla-xft with it, but the fonts are not antialiased. When I delete mozilla and install my own that is xft enabled, antialiasing does result.
Why?

hugo
08-24-2003, 05:56 PM
And I found the solution (again :roll: ). I found a google here:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=_wnaa.5692%24UV6.495066%40news1.telusplane t.net&rnum=17&prev=/groups%3Fsafe%3Dimages%26ie%3DISO-8859-1%26as_ugroup%3Dcomp.os.linux.x%26as_usubject%3Dfo nt%26lr%3D%26num%3D100%26as_scoring%3Dd%26hl%3Den

It discusses changing the Mozilla menu/toolbar/etc. fonts without using userChrome.css. And indeed.

1. apt-get gtk-engines-xenophilia
2. put the google entry into ~/.gtkrc
3. I changed the font to:
-adobe-helvetica-bold-r-normal--17-120-100-100-p-88-iso8859-1
4. Then I ran XFree86 -configure and used that XF86Config-4, adding DefaultColorDepth 16 above the depts of the screen section.

Now I have a mozilla that is Xft enabled, which I did not get with the original on the 07/25/2003-en version. I pulled my own mozilla and enabled xft.

Mind you, this is all on chrooted knoppix. I will now master a CD image and see how that looks from there...

Hugo

ocilent1
08-25-2003, 03:58 AM
Beats me why nobody else has, or notices this. Anyway, found the answer. The appearance of the font that Mozilla will use is determined by what the X server uses for resolution.
If you look into /etc/kde3/kdm/servers of the Knoppix CD you will see it set to 75, so all characters in Mozilla's menu, etc. (NOT the fonts of the displayed pages, those are set with the preferences menu) are very small.
If you change -dpi 75 to -dpi 120 then the menus look much better. I also changed my screen size to 1280x1024 which may have something to do with it. On the HD install, that is, you cannot restart X on the CD.
Thanks all! On to remastering.

Hugo.

Hugo, firstly, thanks for your tip, it was very usefull. I ended up doing a little poking around with the 'Xservers' file you mentioned and found that if you totally remove the 'dpi' reference, then it also fixes the problem. X then seems to default to a dpi of 96x97.