PDA

View Full Version : Error: only one processer

Cyberdude93
08-20-2003, 09:38 PM
I am a total newbie to the linux scene and am having trouble running Knoppix. When I boot it up and enter no commands (or the US keybaord command) after asking about video settings it says "Error: only one processer" and then it keeps repeating something every 30 seconds, sorry I can't remember.

If, and ONLY if I do failsafe it doesn't say this and seems to start up fine, up to a point where the monitor does the following:

1. Say "Monitor will shut off to save power" - part of the monitor not the computer
2. Go into a black screen about 1 second later

And this will repeat for ever. Although it seems to be working for a minute or 2 then it does nothing.

My processer is an AMD XP 2400+ (2ghz) and my graphics card is a Geforce 4 ti4200. And help would be appriciated

Stephen
08-20-2003, 10:50 PM
I am a total newbie to the linux scene and am having trouble running Knoppix. When I boot it up and enter no commands (or the US keybaord command) after asking about video settings it says "Error: only one processer" and then it keeps repeating something every 30 seconds, sorry I can't remember.

If, and ONLY if I do failsafe it doesn't say this and seems to start up fine, up to a point where the monitor does the following:

1. Say "Monitor will shut off to save power" - part of the monitor not the computer
2. Go into a black screen about 1 second later

And this will repeat for ever. Although it seems to be working for a minute or 2 then it does nothing.

My processer is an AMD XP 2400+ (2ghz) and my graphics card is a Geforce 4 ti4200. And help would be appriciated

Try the cheat code (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/CheatCodes) knoppix nosmp noddc at the boot: prompt to stop detection of multi-processor and the monitor and maybe noapm for no power management. You may also want to use xmodule=nv for your graphics card as well.

rickenbacherus
08-20-2003, 10:53 PM
Try booting like this:

boot: knoppix lang=us xmodule=nv nosmp

Cyberdude93
08-21-2003, 12:26 AM
Thanks for that. I think the monitor problems are due to the failsafe command. knoppix nosmp is all it takes.

rickenbacherus
08-21-2003, 02:28 AM
Thanks for that. I think the monitor problems are due to the failsafe command. knoppix nosmp is all it takes.

You might want to use the xmodule=nv code anyway so that you are using the best driver for your video card. Find out if direct rendering is working like so:

glxinfo About 4 lines down the output should read like so:

direct rendering: Yes So, if you want to run any games requiring DRI this is the way to do it. It is entorely possible that Knoppix uses the nv driver all on its own however eliminating the need for the cheat code.