PDA

View Full Version : cannot get x to display

jclochesy
08-21-2003, 03:43 AM
I'm on an HP that is using intels 82810 graphics card... I was able to get x up and running once... in 640x480, but since then no luck! The screen just flickers... Any suggestions?

rickenbacherus
08-21-2003, 04:13 AM
Try this:

boot: knoppix lang=us xmodule=i810

You may need to add a screen size too.

jclochesy
08-21-2003, 04:39 AM
I tried the following:

knoppix lang=us xmodule=i810 screen=1024x768

with no success...

however...I can hear the startup sound (voice)...but can't see a thing...

There is an error right before x attemps to start, but the screen changes too quickly...is there a way to pause?

Also, is it normal to get the message "You passed an undefined mode number." right at the begining?

Thanks

Stephen
08-21-2003, 05:00 AM
Also, is it normal to get the message "You passed an undefined mode number." right at the begining?

Thanks

No it is not try adding the cheat code (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/CheatCodes) vga=normal and maybe noddc.

jclochesy
08-21-2003, 05:13 AM
I tried adding the vga=normal noddc, but it still behaved the same... The "You passed an undefined mode number" shows up even before uncompressing starts! It wants me to hit 'enter' or 'space'... 'enter' brings up a list of what looks like resolutions? I have no idea.

Also...is there a way to pause the screen so that I can read the message that appears later... when entering run level 5?

Stephen
08-21-2003, 05:53 AM
You could try knoppix-txt then when you get to the prompt then /etc/init.d/xsession start you may have to put sudo in front of the command it's been awhile so I can't be certain. Other than that have you tried to actually pass one of the numbers when it asks you too and see what happens with booting that way. You may also want to try as many of the cheat codes as possible and for sure just failsafe all alone on the command line to boot with minimal hardware detection.

Cyberdude93
08-25-2003, 11:04 AM
I had a similar problem. I was trying to run Knoppix in failsafe. After a certain point the monitor kept going from "Power saving will be enabled" to a black screen, and back every split second. This repeated forever even when the system showed no sign of activity. Unfortunatly unless you are trying to run in failsafe I can not help you. The problem I had was a multiprocessor problem, which knoppix nosmp fixed. This was on a standard VGA monitor though.