PDA

View Full Version : Starting Knoppix Terminal Server when booting from CD?

Alex Cavnar, aka alc6379
08-21-2003, 04:00 AM
I searched this forum, and I didn't find anything similar to this, so here goes nothing. Hope I'm not covering old ground!

I'm attempting to set up a configuration in which I can insert a KNOPPIX CD, have it read my floppyconfig, and start the knoppix-terminalserver with my floppyconfig's stored settings. All of this needs to be automated, where all I have to do is boot the machine, type knoppix floppyconfig, and sit there while it goes on.

I tried to use update-rc.d to make the appropriate symlinks in the /etc/rc?.d directories to start the server, but I was unable to save that configuration to the floppy's configuration. I thought about remastering the KNOPPIX disc to already have those symlinks in /etc/rc?.d, but I didn't want to do anything like that unless it was the only way.

Is there some way I can customize the floppyconfig disk I'm using to either a.) Make the symlinks using update-rc.d, or b.) Have a script on the floppy that will automagically run /etc/init.d/knoppix-terminalserver start after everything else has been initialised? Keep in mind I'm not against remastering a custom CD to do this, but I'd only want to do it as a last option. I'm not very familiar with how the persisitent config files work, but I'm willing to learn.

Thanks in advance, guys!

A. Jorge Garcia
10-27-2003, 11:46 PM
Are you trying to run a terminal server off an HDD install? It seems that it only works off the CD.

Upset,

Alex Cavnar, aka alc6379
10-30-2003, 03:04 AM
Actually, I'm trying to run it off of CD.

Basically, I'd like to be able to set up a terminal server wherever I go, by only popping in a Knoppix CD and the persistent config floppy, and having the rest of the process automated.

tealeaf
11-03-2003, 08:34 PM
Hey, I try to do the same thing. I add a line to knoppix.sh to start the Terminal Server and add this file to the CDROM. The knoppix-TerminalServer scripts still needs to be modified so it would not wait for user answers. Can any of you coders help with this task?

locutus
11-10-2003, 07:36 AM
not sure what files are actually saved the first time LTSP is run but if you can figure this out, you can use your floppyconfig to restore the LTSP configuration files and then run:

/etc/init.d/knopppix-terminalserver start

all from the knoppix.sh file on your floppyconfig

Try looking for a directory called pxelinux.cfg and the file in that directory called "default". There's probably some DHCP3, nfs, and tftp configuration files too. You should be able to boot from CD and start LTSP and then look for changed/new files in /etc directories.