PDA

View Full Version : Problems mounting ext2 r/w

jamesraykenney
08-21-2003, 04:48 AM
I have a Debian system with a ext2 fs that has a VERY bad xwindows display.
Knoppix on the other hand has a perfect xwindows display.
I wanted to copy my config-4 file to the debian partition and merge some of it into my conifg-4 file.

I right clicked on the partition and did a 'change read/write mode' but still cannot write to that partition!

This is driving me crazy because it works perfectly on fat32 drives and you would think that it would work on ext2 on a debian system of all things!!!

Please help

James Ray Kenney

Tech2k
08-21-2003, 05:22 AM
All I do for ext2,3 and riserfs is to get root and say mount /dev/hdax

I know its already mounted read only but I dont remount or anything and that works fine for me.

Stephen
08-21-2003, 05:35 AM
I have never had a problem mounting the partition r/w from the command line also perhaps you should try that method as Tech2k suggests above to add one more thing if all else fails and you can't mount the partition for some strange reason then copy the Knoppix XF86Config-4 file to a floppy and then boot your normal install and get the file from the disk.

jamesraykenney
08-21-2003, 05:45 AM
All I do for ext2,3 and riserfs is to get root and say mount /dev/hdax

I know its already mounted read only but I dont remount or anything and that works fine for me.

I did a mount /dev/hda1 and it said that is was already mounted.
So I did a umount /dev/hda1 and then a mount /dev/hda1
tried to create a file in /etc and was told that access was denied.

oscar
08-21-2003, 06:30 AM
try
knoppix single (at boot time)
startx

now you are root 8) and everything is easy for roots :)

Tech2k
08-21-2003, 06:44 AM
Mabey try "umount /dev/hdax" first or for ext2 try
"mount -t ext2 -o remount,rw /dev/hdax /mnt/hdax"

like I said..as root i just say mount /dev/hdax and its fine here.All my partitions are primary mabey if your is logical that makes a differiance?Just a guess.