PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix deficiency

benmayim
08-22-2003, 01:35 PM
I have an Iomega internal IDE zip drive which gets recognized by Knoppix, but can never be mounted. The error msg is: wrong fstype, or bad option, or bad superblock. Well, it's not a wrong fstype because I specified vfat which is the correct fstype on my zip disk, it's not a bad option because I know the mount command well enough to know, so it must be a bad superblock, which means that Knoppix cannot recognize either the partitioning of the zip disk and/or the vfat (win95 FAT32) file system. This is a serious flaw for me, since I depend heavily on zip disks. Not only can't I use vfat zips, but I've even tried to repartition a zip disk and use ext2 file system which also does not work....plain and simple, Knoppix does not work with internal IDE zipdrives, and needs to be fixed. When a fix for this appears in a newer version than 3.2, somebody, please email me at benmayim@hotmail.com :cry: :cry: I guess I'll have to go to Red Hat because I know that even older versions than the Red Hat version I have now supported my zip drive, but I like what's in Knoppix package better, and will have to remove a lot of the extra useless stuff that's in the Red Hat package.
PS, I've read all the posts I could find on this forum about iomega zip drives, and none helped. Some even claimed that you could use sda4 as the drive and that theirs worked in Knoppix 3.2....well, all I can say is their zip drive must not have been internal IDE, or their version 3.2 is different from mine.

garyng
08-22-2003, 04:03 PM
Is there any special reason that you must use zip ? I can understand your frustration but if you think KNOPPIX has better package, why not choose something that can serve the same purpose as zip drive ? CF is very cheap nowadays as well as CD-R.

It may be a flaw but honestly speaking I just can't see why it is a 'serious' one.

RockMumbles
08-22-2003, 09:22 PM
I've had to boot up with a disk in the zip drive.

I haven't used a recent release but I use knoppix 3.1 and 3.2 with IDE zip's at school all of the time.

~rock

benmayim
08-23-2003, 12:18 PM
Is there any special reason that you must use zip ? I can understand your frustration but if you think KNOPPIX has better package, why not choose something that can serve the same purpose as zip drive ? CF is very cheap nowadays as well as CD-R.

It may be a flaw but honestly speaking I just can't see why it is a 'serious' one.

It is serious because I've already had to buy an external modem because knoppix couldn't work with my modem, I simply can't afford to buy everything that knoppix can't deal with, and I have lots of old disks with a lot of info that I don't feel like copying, and where would I copy it to? My hard drive is full? Plus, i will be trading info with other people who do not run linux.

benmayim
08-23-2003, 12:23 PM
I've had to boot up with a disk in the zip drive.

I haven't used a recent release but I use knoppix 3.1 and 3.2 with IDE zip's at school all of the time.

~rock

I always boot the Knoppix 3.2 CD with a windows FAT32 Zip disk IN the zip drive, and I don't think it is impossible for my zip drive to work in knoppix, I just said I couldn't get it to happen and no one else seems to be able to help me. What did the installers at your school have to go thru to get their zips to work?