PDA

View Full Version : Lucent V90

scm86
08-22-2003, 03:56 PM
I have a Lucent V90 modem, and found a driver for it on the net. The site said to do a
make install, but it said that it couldnt write to /sbin, so I read around the forum and it said that I needed to change the makefile so it pointed somwhere writable, so I did, and now the error has something to do with getcwd. I have Knoppix 3.1, the machine is a pentium 3 450, compaq. I'll post the exact wording later...

Thanx

Scott McNeely

MattT
08-22-2003, 09:40 PM
Lucent modems are common (infact I have one) and you should not have to install a driver for them. If your modem is PCI try this first.

Type this into a root shell:
cd /dev
./MAKEDEV ttyS4
ln -s ttyS4 modem
chmod 777 modem
chmod 777 ttyS4

This will set up your default modem to run on ttyS4. For Win/DOS users ttyS4 is com5. This is an unusual com that is sometimes used by PCI modems.

I can't help you with installing drivers because I have never had to do that. Knoppix has so much already included that it is just a matter of knowing how to use it. Hope that helps :)

scm86
08-23-2003, 02:05 AM
Thanx for the info, I did it and there where no errors, but how do i get KPPP to look to ttyS4 for my modem? i know the modem is on ttyS0, its com1 in windows, but it only gets so far as to initialize the modem, it just sits there, a check of the phone line finds the dialtone, and the modem makes no dialy like noises, am i just not waiting long enuff?

Thanx

Scott McNeely

madserb
08-23-2003, 09:53 AM
And what about intel 536ep modem? can i make it work somehow?