PDA

View Full Version : temporarily stop xserver from loading

IamPi
08-22-2003, 06:31 PM
Hi,

How do I temporarily stop xserver from loading at boot? I want to install nvidia drivers and such. I've found some posts addressing the graphics drivers, but I can't figure out how to stop xserver. I'm new to Linux so please don't assume I know anything.

Thanks!

rickenbacherus
08-22-2003, 08:16 PM
If you're trying to install drivers then I presume you installed Knoppix to your hard drive. If you're using LILO then just hit the TAB key at the LILO prompt and enter Linux single. You can also kill the xserver after it boots with CTRL+ALT+BKSPC

I have to ask tho- why is it necessary to stop the xserver to install drivers?

IamPi
08-22-2003, 08:29 PM
When I try and sh the nvidia driver, I get an error message saying that xserver must be stopped first. I already tried hitting CTRL+ALT+BKSPC, xserver stops for a second and then restarts. It logs me out and then the login manager appears.

You know, you might be right though, maybe I am doing something wrong. In all of the other posts I've seen, nobody talks about stopping xserver. But maybe they assume thats so easy to do they don't mention it.

I'll try hitting TAB at the Lilo prompt.

RockMumbles
08-22-2003, 08:38 PM
try starting up with this command:

knoppix 2 ( plus any other necessary boot options)

that will start up without starting the X server

HTH

~rock

IamPi
08-22-2003, 09:22 PM
Okay, I hit tab and then typed in Linux single at the Lilo prompt. That booted me to a prompt without starting X. Thanks!