PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! No sound :(

Travdecool
08-23-2003, 01:53 AM
Hey every1 total newbie here :wink: , never worked on a linux machine my entire life, but i thought id experiment a little and i got knoppix. Must say very impressed, never knew linux looked so good, better gui then win xp. anywayz, i run knoppix on a fairly old toshiba tecra 8000 8) , everything works fine only problem is no sound at all, NOTHING :shock: . can somebody help me out please, again if this question is stupidi appologize :? , im such a noob.

Travdecool
08-23-2003, 02:04 AM
also, if i try to play an mp3 it comes up with a little message:

Please check that:

1.You have the correct output plugin selected
2. no other program is blocking the soundcard
3. Your soundcard is configured properly

dunno how to do any 3 of those, lol, i know iknow what your saying, this guy's an idiot, buy hey this is my first time ever experimenting with linux, any ideas anyone?

Stephen
08-23-2003, 02:23 AM
also, if i try to play an mp3 it comes up with a little message:

Please check that:

1.You have the correct output plugin selected
2. no other program is blocking the soundcard
3. Your soundcard is configured properly

dunno how to do any 3 of those, lol, i know iknow what your saying, this guy's an idiot, buy hey this is my first time ever experimenting with linux, any ideas anyone?

Try from a console window (clam shell icon on the taskbar) ps xa | grep arts to get the number of the artsd process then kill the_number_of_the_process. You may also want to try booting with the cheat code (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/CheatCodes) knoppix alsa at the boot: prompt to use the alsa sound system.

Travdecool
08-23-2003, 03:45 AM
nope sorry dude that didnt work.

eadz
08-23-2003, 04:39 AM
Please read the documentation : www.knoppix.net/docs/

You may find some pointers there for this problem,
and for how to get root access - your other post, ( which has been removed ).

Fenix_999
08-23-2003, 04:07 PM
try to see if the sound isn't muted, whit alsamixer or alsa_mixer.

in my first try whit knoppix I and that problem :oops: