PDA

View Full Version : Newly remastered CD needs /dev entries?

hugo
08-23-2003, 11:35 PM
Something I don't get:
I boot the knoppix CD (3.2) and I get sound, dial with PPP, use pseudo terminals.
I remaster using the Howto by Sunil Thomas Thonikuzhiyil, changing only an addition of Mozilla with Xft and an addition of fvwm.
Booting that CD with the boot floppy gets me that sound no longer works (the lady with the start-up sequence), PPP no longer dials and xterm can no longer find a pseudo terminal: all true: they ain' t around in /dev. What happens is that in the startup script these things don' t get copied, somehow: they are in the KNOPPIX new master but not in the KNOPPIX on ram.
What am I doing wrong?
It makes no sense that at every boot of the remastered CD I have to run alsa_snddevices, do a MAKEDEV for pty and do a mknod /dev/ppp c 108 0.

Thanks.

Hugo

Tech2k
08-24-2003, 01:07 AM
Maybe the ppp problem is because you didnt set the /etc/resolv.conf file back to stock.If you leave a nameserver in that file it can cause problems.I remaster and am on ppp so I just name the chroot copy of resolv.conf and ppp to rresolv.conf and pppp then copy in my real ones and when done I delete them and name the orginal ones back.