PDA

View Full Version : WPC11 ver4 using wep

tod8688
08-24-2003, 12:26 AM
In my hunt for info about this card I came across a very helpfull forum on www.linuxquestions.org. It took a while to get right but here is the short version of what I did to get the card working.

First I use the WPC11 ver 4 card (bought the card from WallyWorld on sale) on an HP N5440 laptop, so your experience may be a little different from mine. Secondly I have used the card running from the Knoppix live CD 7-26.

Now the config. stuff. This is assuming you have preconfigured your WAP using WEP. I insert the card before I boot because its autodetected. The I downloaded the latest driver from

HERE (http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloads1-3.aspx?software=True&refdesign=True&spec=True&other=True&series=2002121) (I used the Suse version of the driver, some other people have had trouble with it but it works fine for me)

After downloading the driver I extracted everything into the /tmp directory from the Knoppix home directory. Then I edited the the begining of the make file so that is matches the kernel version. It looks like this.

VERSION = 2
PATCHLEVEL = 4
SUBLEVEL = 20
EXTRAVERSION = -xfs
KERNELRELEASE=$(VERSION).$(PATCHLEVEL).$(SUBLEVEL) $(EXTRAVERSION)
INCLUDEPATH=-I /usr/src/linux/include/

After editing the make file I edited line 128 in the r8180_type.h file to look like this

/*================================================= ====================================
type definition.
================================================== ===================================*/
typedef struct timer_list timer_t;

After editing the two files I created my own WLAN script using kwrite. It looks like this. (replace the x's with the hex version of your WEP key)

#!/bin/sh

NETWORK_NAME=dewwifi
WEP_KEY=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
IP_ADDR=192.168.1.180
IP_MASK=255.255.255.0
IP_GATEWAY=192.168.1.1

/sbin/insmod rtl8180_24x.o
/sbin/iwpriv wlan0 wlan_para ssid2scan=$NETWORK_NAME
/sbin/iwpriv wlan0 wlan_para networktype=infra
/sbin/iwpriv wlan0 wlan_para authtype=sharedkey
/sbin/iwpriv wlan0 wlan_para wepmode=wep104
/sbin/iwpriv wlan0 wlan_para wepdkeyid=0
/sbin/iwpriv wlan0 wlan_para wepkey104_1=$WEP_KEY
/sbin/iwpriv wlan0 enable
/sbin/ifconfig wlan0 $IP_ADDR netmask $IP_MASK
/sbin/route add -net 0.0.0.0 gw $IP_GATEWAY

Basiclly I opened kwrite and pasted the info with my WEP key replacing the "x's" and saved the file wifi.sh in the tmp directory.

Now I open the Konsole window type su to become root and enter the tmp directory and run make. Then i run the wifi script by typing "sh wifi.sh".

The card should be active now but at this point the IP address has been staticly assigned. If you set your WAP to have static addresses you should be fine. But if your using DHCP you have to use netcardconfig, chose the wlan0 card and say yes to the DHCP broad cast.

This was extremely long but I hope it helps.
Dewayne
[/url]

Whacko
03-31-2004, 07:10 PM
hi, it all seems to work allright.. except, that i dont seem to be connected to the AP. I cant ping etc... i use knoppix, to test on my laptop since it doesnt have a harddrive yet :P

any ideas on what i could try?