PDA

View Full Version : Floppy/Cd-rom access newbie question

Callick
08-24-2003, 06:14 PM
Okay, I just installed knoppix. Everything's fresh and nice.

Because I have a winmodem, I download the linux drivers for it and slap them on a disk (i'm using a different computer right now).
Well, when I was using 'normal' Knoppix (running off the cd, I could access my floppy drive and hard drive and cd rom normally. Heck, there were even icons to access them on the desktop.

Now, with Knoppix installed, all I have are Home, trash can and the Debian guide thing. I can't figure out how to get access to my floppy drive or Cd-rom. When I go to /dev/floppy or /dev/cdrom they're just empty folders, I don't even see either device "working" to access what's in them and display it.

So, bottomline, how can I get to my floppy and cd-rom?! I really need access, as I have no way of getting online, porting drivers over or pretty much doing anything else until I can. And on another side note, when I tried to see if Knoppix even RECOGNIZED my cdrom, I loaded up k3b and tried to burn something. It worked. It seemed to use the cdrom just fine. Now I just need to get access to it!

Much thanks.

Tech2k
08-24-2003, 07:28 PM
For the cdrom try the command "mount /dev/cdrom" (needs a cd in it to mount)
If you have 2 cdrom/burners then one will be "mount /dev/cdrom1".Lets say you did a mount /dev/cdrom...now just say "cd /cdrom" then "ls" and thers your files.
later say "umount /dev/cdrom" to un-mount it.

for the floppy try "mount /dev/fd0"

RockMumbles
08-25-2003, 12:02 AM
As far as your desktop icons check out this post:

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3918#18288

~rock

oldgeezer
08-25-2003, 09:00 AM
That advice works just fine for the CDRom and HD but I had to use Create New to place the FD icon onto the desktop. Now, it only shows the contents of discs after they have been removed and a new one inserted??