PDA

View Full Version : Modularity Model-K

AvidLinuxUser
01-20-2003, 04:56 AM
A new version of Model-k is ready for testing. This version is down to 33 Megs. I believe this is small as it gets with out removing standard packages. (Removed to be replaced be things like busybox)

This version is very US centric. Had to axe locales to get it down this small.

Please follow the link from the website.

Please contact me via e-mail directly (avidlinuxuser@modularity.org) or use this forum with any questions or comments.

Thanks,
Avid

ironstorm
02-05-2003, 06:54 AM
I like that model-K is so small... 8)

I actually tried to use it for an knoppix hdd install today, but found it was missing some stuff that made things a bit inconvient. Namely, it lacks any text editor or any type of file-pulling-client...

I found that to do my hdd-install I needed to put curl (like wget on 'roids), nano-tiny (small statically linked text editor), dialog (knx-hddinstall script uses this to ask questions), and the knx-hddinstall scripts on a floppy, mount unzip, edit path, and then run... a bit long, but I eventually got it.

If Model-K had curl or wget or links, I could pull down a script to pull that stuff off the web and do an install...

AvidLinuxUser
02-05-2003, 01:09 PM
I found that to do my hdd-install I needed to put curl (like wget on 'roids), nano-tiny (small statically linked text editor), dialog (knx-hddinstall script uses this to ask questions), and the knx-hddinstall scripts on a floppy, mount unzip, edit path, and then run... a bit long, but I eventually got it.

I know. I killed all the text editors and other stuff as Model-k's goal is to be a base point for adding modules too. (Hince the Modularity.org website name)

Do you really think someone is going to want to start from 33 Megs and have to instal there other software by hand?

The new 0.6 version of Model-k (>21 Megs) has even riped out the knx-hddinstall, but it will have an editor and wget via busybox.

Let me you what you think.

Alextreme
02-05-2003, 01:43 PM
Hmm, i wonder how much you could shrink it down. Anyway, morphix base is still usable for people wanting a root-knoppix system, i might shrink it down a bit but imho space isn't most important: functionality is ;)

ironstorm
02-06-2003, 03:15 PM
Do you really think someone is going to want to start from 33 Megs and have to instal there other software by hand?

To be honest yes.
There are a couple of reasons why I like model-K as a base for installing HDDs:

Knoppix has a bunch of stuff I don't care for, which proably add
around 600 MB to the ISO size (which already takes an age and a half to D/L).
Knoppix is missing a bunch of stuff I actually want (KDE 3.1)
The Knoppix install scripts are without a doubt one of the easiest installs
of Debian (or any distro), I've had the pleasure to use... Model-k is
compatiable when I add on a floppy's worth of stuff.
It's nicer to do `cat mysystempackages.txt |dpkg --set-selections` on a
system with very few packages installed, there is much less chance of
having conflicts (-> less of my time to resolve dependancys).
model-K fits on one of my sexy 75MB mini-CDs. :)

The new 0.6 version of Model-k (>21 Megs) has even riped out the knx-hddinstall, but it will have an editor and wget via busybox.

Actually you ripped out knx-install and dialog already in 0.5.2, I added them back on off of my floppy.

I'm glad the system will be getting wget, I hope to use that to get rid of the floppy... curl would have been a tiny bit easier cuz it out puts to standard out I could go >`curl http://myserver.com/myinstall.txt`, but wget will work ok too...

Do you know if busybox's wget supports proxies?

-G

Vick
02-07-2003, 04:26 AM
Yes!!!! People like me love projects like this one, boot from model-k make HD install and apt-get what you need and have fun :) the basic is there just need to choose the graphic GUI and loved tools you need that is it!

Keep it going its great…

MichielioZ
03-27-2003, 03:14 PM
I read about a 0.6 version of ModelK ??
I can only seem to find the 0.52 version of it...
By the way : Is this project still being updated/upgraded ?
Thnx for the info in advance.

Naughtius Maximus
05-11-2003, 02:12 AM
I'm a newbie and just reading about this and wondering if this is what i have been looking for.I have been wanting to compile a linux kernel for myself, make a minimal install that runs directly from a cd, the same as knoppix.

I just want a bare bones os that has a GUI like kde or gnome, a web browser, mail client and text and picture viewer. And maybe add a few things that i like, not to interested in games or alot of the programs that come with knoppix, although i'm happy they are on the cd.

Finding knoppix has inspiried me to want to make my own customized linux os.

brianez21
03-26-2005, 02:53 AM
Hi, I have searched Google like crazy, but I still can't find a working link to download model_k.
Anyone know where I can grab it?

brianez21
03-26-2005, 02:40 PM
I'm a newbie and just reading about this and wondering if this is what i have been looking for.I have been wanting to compile a linux kernel for myself, make a minimal install that runs directly from a cd, the same as knoppix.

I just want a bare bones os that has a GUI like kde or gnome, a web browser, mail client and text and picture viewer. And maybe add a few things that i like, not to interested in games or alot of the programs that come with knoppix, although i'm happy they are on the cd.

Finding knoppix has inspiried me to want to make my own customized linux os.
You might want to try May Linux (http://may-linux.ath.cx) or Damn small Linux (http://damnsmalllinux.org). They are Knoppix-based but don't have KDE (Fluxbox instead). Slax (http://slax.linux-live.org/) is Slackware based and has the full-blown KDE.
If these don't help you can make your own remaster (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Remastering_Howto) of Knoppix!