PDA

View Full Version : disks automount running from CD; why not after HDD install?

timothy
08-25-2003, 02:57 PM
I hope someone can point out what I'm missing :) It's been bugging me for several Knoppix releases now.

When running Knoppix from CD (which remains amazing in all it contains), a very handy feature is that USB storage devices simply show up on the desktop as another drive icon when they're plugged in: a USB flash reader lets me get the pictures from my digital camera, and a USB external hard drive lets me transfer large files machine-to-machine.

However, after putting Knoppix on the HD, it seems that this automounting is turned off. Is there a simple way to restore it?

(Yesterday, to transfer a bunch of files, I rebooted my knoppix machine with the CD despite having Knoppix installed on the hard drive, just because that made the transfer as easy as plugging in a USB flash drive and dragging some files to it.)

There are a few other minor differences in behavior between from-CD and running-from-HDD Knoppix, but the others are mostly in favor of the HDD install. (Like on the particular machine I'm playing with now, cursed with an old, weak video card, running from CD means 8-bit color; from HDD the default seems to have jumped to 16-bit.)

timothy

qa1433
08-25-2003, 07:51 PM
This reply is how to mount a windows partion read and writeable.

1)type “su” to get superuser, and enter the password when requested
2)type “kate”
3)open /etc/fstab in kate
4) Go down into the file and find and un-comment the /dev/hdax /mnt/win lines where x represents the drive number. By un-comment I mean deleat the hash (#) in front of each line that has a hdax where x represents the drive number.
5)save the file and exit
6)make a right click on your desktop, and click on “create new”-->”hard disk ...”
7)move to “Device” and select “/dev/hda1 (/mnt/win)”. Make sure that the button “read only” is UNchecked. Click on the “o.k.” button.
(note: you can of course also rename the file to “windows”

You should now be able to mount your windows hard disk by double-clicking on the Icon you created in step 6 and 7.
If youhave any problems or don't understand something, please feel free to post here again!
Enjoy!
paul 8) [/i]

fingers99
08-26-2003, 05:19 AM
Make sure that the button “read only” is UNchecked.

Is good advice if you're running fat32. If you're running ntfs it's not a good idea. You can trash the filesystem in seconds by doing writes to ntfs. :cry:

firephox
10-05-2003, 07:43 AM
I think the question is how to get USB drives to auto mount. This is exactly the question I need answering, using the CD, I pop the USB drive in and it appears on the desktop, installed on the HDD it will not.

How can I set up the automount?

I love Knoppix! As a first time user, I'm blown away by how good it is, this is my only problem with knoppix after two failed attempts at Debian.

Thank you.