PDA

View Full Version : root password and saving config to floppy

jmsuthar
08-25-2003, 04:48 PM
I have two questions. I have the latest version of the Knoppix distribution (26/07/2003) and was wondering what the password for root is. I was trying to change some settings in the Control Panel and it asked me for the root password, but in the shell when I did "su - root" it didn't ask for a password.

Another question. I saved the Knoppix settings to a floppy (ext2 formatted) and it said that boot with either of these commands "knoppix myconfig=/mnt/auto/floppy" or "knoppix myconfig=scan", but none of them worked. It gave me some wierd message. What could the problem be?

-- Thanx

rickenbacherus
08-25-2003, 06:22 PM
You can set a root password like so
su <enter>
passwd

dfa
08-26-2003, 06:05 PM
Another question. I saved the Knoppix settings to a floppy (ext2 formatted) and it said that boot with either of these commands "knoppix myconfig=/mnt/auto/floppy" or "knoppix myconfig=scan", but none of them worked.

hi...

the save-to-floppy info screen you reference seems outdated.

i too had this trouble... the workaround that seems to work, for me, was to put "floppyconfig" in the boot line of option(s)/argument(s). mine, for example, reads:

root: knoppix lang=us alsa floppyconfig

i ran across the workaround in one of the messages in this forum, and the message also mentioned that for newer versions, which you mention having, "floppyconf" will also work. i'm using an 07-06? version, but both 'floppyconfig' and 'floppyconf' seem to do the trick.

the screen i'm referring to is the one that you get when you press the F2 key during boot up.

hth,

dave

jmsuthar
08-27-2003, 03:18 PM
Ah, I see. Thank you very much dfa. I was thinking that the config floppy is like mandrake's bootdisk (the one created during installation). Whenever I tried to boot mandrake with the floppy I would always get this error "vmlinuz not found".

- Thanks again.