PDA

View Full Version : Added Another User but New user Cannot WebBrowse

bongski55
08-26-2003, 08:13 AM
I have already complained about this before but did not get a clear solution. This is getting to be a pain for me!

I just created another user but this new user is unable to browse sites and getting 'unknown host' error messages instead. The non root user(knoppix user) created during hd install works ok. I even tried to make the groups for the new user the same as for the knoppix user but no effect.

Can somebody please teach me how to solve this probelm once and for all?

Dave_Bechtel
08-27-2003, 10:20 AM
--How did you create the user, ' useradd ' or ' adduser '?

o Which web browser are they using?

o Check to see if the web browser is trying to access a proxy.

I have already complained about this before but did not get a clear solution. This is getting to be a pain for me!

I just created another user but this new user is unable to browse sites and getting 'unknown host' error messages instead. The non root user(knoppix user) created during hd install works ok. I even tried to make the groups for the new user the same as for the knoppix user but no effect.

Can somebody please teach me how to solve this probelm once and for all?

bongski55
08-27-2003, 11:17 AM
adduser

konqueror and/or opera

I don't think it does, I have no problems using the default knoppix user (and the root).

Dave_Bechtel
08-29-2003, 01:50 AM
--I confess I'm stumped, never ran into that particular error before. Sounds weird.

--Maybe try ' deluser --remove-home USERID ' and add them back in again? Then as root ' cd /home; chown -R USERID.USERID USERID ' to make sure of their file ownership. This is just a shot in the dark, you should back up their home dir before trying this if they have anything to lose.

adduser

konqueror and/or opera

I don't think it does, I have no problems using the default knoppix user (and the root).

bongski55
09-03-2003, 12:19 PM
I found a remedy for my problem. I created a group 'dip' and added that group to my non root user.

Everything is okay now.

Dave_Bechtel
09-03-2003, 09:15 PM
Ah, I think I found out why: (google is your friend)
http://www.psg.com/~brian/doc/comms/ppp.htm

--It all depends on who owns the pppd:
' whereis pppd '
pppd: /usr/sbin/pppd /usr/share/man/man8/pppd.8.gz

' ls -l /usr/sbin/pppd '

-rwxr-x--- 1 root dip 234504 Nov 24 2002 /usr/sbin/pppd*

--I checked my old /etc/group for SuSE and my userid was in groups "dialout" and "modem." So wvdial must have been owned by one of those groups, as well as pppd. I presume you're using dip as your dialout method; I always used kppp at first, then wvdial on-demand (Server does the dialing when it gets a Squid HTTP request) until I got DSL, which uses pppoe.

--Ah, I think I get it now. When I was using dialup, I always started teh internet connection as root, and all other users could access the connection. Are you starting the dialer as the non-root user?

I found a remedy for my problem. I created a group 'dip' and added that group to my non root user.

Everything is okay now.

bongski55
09-04-2003, 05:47 AM
Yes,I dial as non root.