PDA

View Full Version : onboard sound issue

wikked
08-26-2003, 10:22 AM
heelo, im new to knoppix and linux for that matter... i decided to try knoppix because it was simply bootable from a cd... anyways, i ahve a soyo kt-333 dragon ultra platinum edition mobo, with onboard c-media cm8738 audio, i tried the "alsa" cheat ive seen so many use in the forums, but all that really did was now enable me to see the music playing in the equilizer on xmms. does anyone have anything in mind that i could do? as im said, im completely new to linux... but i learn well, so id appreciate any help whatsoever.thanks!

roadrunner
08-26-2003, 01:57 PM
Welcome to linux - !

I assume that your sound works fine when you boot with your native os, so I wont ask you to make sure that your speakers are plugged in and turned up. :wink:

1/ When you boot from the cd WITHOUT the alsa cheat, does xmms behave the same way? (you can see the eq working)

2/ with AND without the alsa cheat - if you go to the System>InfoCenter application and click on 'Sound" does your sound card info show up correctly? Are they the same regardless of the cheat?

3/ try menu>KNOPPIX>Configure>Soundcard Configuration to see what is found.

4/ try opening a shell (KNOPPIX>Root) and type '/etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig' (no quotes)

5/ Which version CD are you using?

roadrunner
08-26-2003, 02:01 PM
Also -

from a shell type 'aumix -w 70 -v 70 -cd 70'
this will make sure that the volumes are properly set.

wikked
08-27-2003, 06:36 AM
hello, first of all id like to thank you for taking the time to reply!

ok now down to business.

1.yes, i can also see the equilizer without it, i guess last time i did it, it froze so i assumed it wasnt working right, but it didnt freeze this time. if something like this ever happens again how can i kill a process?

2. no, it doesnt show any sound card at all without the alsa cheat, but with the alsa cheat it shows it as pci, my audio is onboard.

3.it shows it being cm8738, which is what i have... but when the sample is played i cannot hear it.

4. i performed /etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig just as you said, i did this when i was not using the alsa cheat, here is what came up as follows under info center after doing this:

Sound Driver: 3.8.1a-980706 (ALSA v0.9.2 emulation code)
Kernel: Linux Knoppix 2.4.21-xfs #1 SMP Fre Jul 25 00:06:47 CEST 2003 i686
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:
Type 10: ALSA emulation

Card config:
--- no soundcards ---

Audio devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

Synth devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

Midi devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

Timers: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

Mixers: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

*******end*********

5. i downloaded 3.2 english distribution

from a shell type 'aumix -w 70 -v 70 -cd 70' this will make sure the volumes are properly set

i did this under knoppix>root shell, and still nothing.

any other suggestions?[/quote]

wikked
08-27-2003, 06:59 AM
also, this is what is displayed under info center when alsa cheat is enabled:

Sound Driver:3.8.1a-980706 (ALSA v0.9.2 emulation code)
Kernel: Linux Knoppix 2.4.21-xfs #1 SMP Fre Jul 25 00:06:47 CEST 2003 i686
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:
Type 10: ALSA emulation

Card config:
C-Media PCI CMI8738-MC6 (model 55) at 0xe000, irq 10

Audio devices:
0: C-Media PCI DAC/ADC (DUPLEX)

Synth devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

Midi devices:
0: MPU-401 (UART) 0-0

Timers:
7: system timer

Mixers:
0: CMedia PCI

*************end************

wikked
08-27-2003, 07:12 AM
wow, i seem to have got it working!!!! :D

well, here is what i did, started clean with alsa cheat, then i went to settings>control center>sounds & multimedia>sound system, enabled start arts server on kde startup, then i went into I/O tab and put Sound I/O method on advanced linux sound architecture, hit apply, from there i could see my equilizer on my newq platinum sound system moving (its a hardware theatre system, fits in 5.25 bay, looks like a car stereo head unit, can see it at newq.com, even has a remote for lazy people) then i went into shell and did 'aumix -w 70 -v 70 -cd 70' and it started sounding just fine. thanks, it took me a minute to figure it out but i finally got it... i really like knoppix, it looks so cool! :) thank you so much for the help you offered me also! other newbies might want to try this also, see if it works for you.

roadrunner
08-27-2003, 02:09 PM
I'm happy to have pointed you in the right direction.

I too am new to Linux, and I have looked at a lot of distributions. I selected Knoppix because it had the best support for my newer hardware - although there are still things to 'learn' before they are perfect.

Parting words: KNOW YOUR HARDWARE AND WHAT IS - AND IS NOT - SUPPORTED IN YOUR VERSIONS. Life will be simple then.

Later...