PDA

View Full Version : minimal Knoppix

ZerBit
08-26-2003, 12:02 PM
Hi all,

Iīm new in Linux world and i have started with KNOPPIX. I have installed it in my computer and i think itīs cool :lol: . I have created some stuff apps and i want to run it in my new board (a VIA EPIA Board)

I would like to install a minimal KNOPPIX (< 25Mb or less, only kernel) in a disk on module. I also want to load a driver (insmod mydriver.o)and my app. directly when i start the system.

How could i do something like this?

Thanks in advance!!

IllegalOperation
08-27-2003, 02:52 AM
It depends on what app you are running. The app may require certain things to run, like libraries and etc. And if its an app that uses a GUI, forget the 25 mb or less size.

There are a few Linux distros out there that run on a floppy, and serve different purposes such as a firewall and etc.

Let us know what app, and I can guide a little better.

henrique
09-06-2003, 12:08 PM
Hi !

Please, help me too...

My idea is to remaster a minimal ISO with only xfree86 and fluxbox
Is it possible to do this (quick and easily) from the last Knoppix version?
What packages should I safely remove ?
Any script to help?

Thanks

garyng
09-06-2003, 02:45 PM
try morphix instead but 25M is a bit hard for X. Just curious, why 25M. I give myself a bit more headroom(in terms of storage) at 128M(very reasonably priced CF) and 185M(the mini-CD).

BTW, to me it is much easier to build from woody debootstrap than from KNOPPIX. I had a bareX like you mentioned in around 250M uncompressed(but latter add more 'essential' stuff) without removing those /usr/doc, /usr/share. Browser is an issue(I think a browser is a must for GUI) as Opera takes 25M(and there is licensing issue for distribution), Firebird/Mozilla about 40M. I used dillo instead but that is very limited and not really usable but a good temp solution for surfing and info lookup while apt-getting the 'real' stuff of a fresh install.

BTW2, should you install fluxbox, first install the 0.14/0.17 from woody/sarge/sid then upgrade to the 0.9x cvs as 0.1x has quite some problems in window handling.

henrique
09-06-2003, 03:32 PM
My plan is to burn a mini-cd with Openoffice. A kind of DamnSmall plus OpenOffice and Mozilla. I think it's possible... Or I am wrong ? I need help and opinions :wink:

garyng
09-06-2003, 04:09 PM
It is possible but how small I don't know. Haven't tried OpenOffice yet, X + Mozilla + Fluxbox with all other unecessary things removed may be around 200-250M uncompressed. 50% compression would give about 100-125M, not exactly small but can be carried around in CF/mini-cd. So unless OO is really big, it may fit into a 185M mini-cd.

Superstoned
09-06-2003, 09:24 PM
If you use KDE, with Koffice and Konqueror, whould that be smaller? Koffice is enough for normal use, as is Konqueror. And the're faster and smaller. But KDE itself is bigger...

garyng
09-07-2003, 02:17 AM
If you use KDE, with Koffice and Konqueror, whould that be smaller? Koffice is enough for normal use, as is Konqueror. And the're faster and smaller. But KDE itself is bigger...

Konqueror alone pull in 70M+ but I managed to have a based KDE(no game, no multi media, no Koffice) between 300-350M. In fact, there is mini-CD based KDE distro(using cloop). Even baseline GNOME 2.2 is possible but again very basic one(just browser, filer and a few things.) but I find KDE to be better in terms of features packed and I don't like anti-alias fonts in GNOME

Superstoned
09-08-2003, 08:13 PM
hmmm, firebird instead of mozilla whould save some megs too?

although I still prefer KDE :?

garyng
09-09-2003, 01:15 AM
hmmm, firebird instead of mozilla whould save some megs too?

although I still prefer KDE :?

My experience is not noticeable if we are talking about mozilla-browser(including xft, ssl) vs firebird. Within a few M(out of 40+). But I prefer mozilla as it has a language pack which I can add to change the menu languages as I am a Chinese user, no such thing in firebird.

KDE IMO is still the best in terms of disk space, for so many things packed in so little space(relatively). With KDE, I don't need Mozilla(well in most case) as Konqueror have most of the features. That is a 40M+ saving. The eqivalent of Mozilla + a filer eats up quite some disk space.

henrique
09-09-2003, 02:46 AM
How can we install a minimal gnome ?
apt-get what?

BlckJck
09-09-2003, 05:23 AM
If your looking for a small browser, check out dillo, its about 300k... It's on KNOPPIX... www.dillo.org[/url]

garyng
09-09-2003, 06:39 AM
If your looking for a small browser, check out dillo, its about 300k... It's on KNOPPIX... www.dillo.org[/url]

dillo can only be an 'initial' browser as it lacks some very key features(for today's web) like SSL and cookie. I include it in my bareX so I can do quick browsing, mostly for looking up info while I am apt-getting mozilla at the background.

garyng
09-09-2003, 06:42 AM
How can we install a minimal gnome ?
apt-get what?

apt-get gnome-core mozilla-xft mozilla-psm

this combination will give you the desktop, browser, filer(Nautilus) and nothing more, not even printer management or dialer for PPP etc.

henrique
09-09-2003, 09:54 AM
Newbie question about print support:

are there another little program like gnome-cups-manager in order to easily configure cups to include in this mini-cd with openoffice?

:wink:

And what about sound ?

garyng
09-09-2003, 02:12 PM
Newbie question about print support:

are there another little program like gnome-cups-manager in order to easily configure cups to include in this mini-cd with openoffice?

:wink:

And what about sound ?

I have no idea. Some said a browser can be used to manage CUPS. As for sound, I just let the system load the OSS driver and it is up to the application to control it, I believe.

henrique
09-09-2003, 06:06 PM
Thanks garyng,

Based on your answer I found it in google (cups configure browser)

Look at this link:

http://www.maenad.net/geek/di8k-debian/node16.html

No need to install gnome-cups-manager or kdeprintwizard, only cups and a browser ! :D