PDA

View Full Version : mail-filtering for dummies

slc
08-26-2003, 04:32 PM
I need someone to explain procmail, spamassassin, and all the zillion pieces of software that all seem to do the same thing, and how they work with mutt. I have mutt+exim+fetchmail, and I want/need to filter my normal emails to folders, and some to spamfolder.

I need the help to be a live person, altho not necessarily real-time. Cuz I tried using how-tos before, and what I got was a procmail that filtered everything to nowhere. I had a valid-looking .procmailrc and it all looked right, but when I had it running I got no email, ever.

If someone can help me on here, that'd be great, otherwise, I'd be thrilled with a suggestion as to where to get help. I've checked the knoppix irc-channel, as well as my usual irc linux-channel and nobody knows enuf about procmail to help.

Thanks,
sl

Stephen
08-26-2003, 07:27 PM
If someone can help me on here, that'd be great, otherwise, I'd be thrilled with a suggestion as to where to get help. I've checked the knoppix irc-channel, as well as my usual irc linux-channel and nobody knows enuf about procmail to help.

Thanks,
sl

Got to the Debian Lists (http://lists.debian.org/) and sign up for the Debian User list ( note it is a high volume 200-300 emails a day ) or use a news reader to post to the list you should be able to get plenty of help with procmail there.

slc
08-26-2003, 09:31 PM
Signing up for a high-volume mailing list while I've got no filters sounds like an explosively bad idea, however I can certainly do newsgroups!! :)

Hopefully they're equally well-populated.

Thanks!
sl

slc
08-27-2003, 04:42 AM
For some reason I can't seem to get a post up, I post just like I would to any other group but it never shows up. :(
I don't suppose you know why do you?

sl

Stephen
08-27-2003, 05:14 AM
For some reason I can't seem to get a post up, I post just like I would to any other group but it never shows up. :(
I don't suppose you know why do you?
sl

It could be having trouble getting through the news gateway you could try just posting to the list itself at debian-user@lists.debian.org and ask that you be CC'd as you are not on the list just make sure when you reply that it is to the list not the person sending you the mail some people there can be very pariticular about gettting email that should be on the list itself. Also you should detail the steps you have already taken with procmail and you may want to search the archives too I have seen many post about this very thing the answer may already be there.

slc
08-27-2003, 06:32 PM
I actually did a google search for "procmail for dummies" and I found this site.
It's a GREAT thing for a newbie, or someone like me who's having problems with it. They tippy-toe you through each step, and even explain some functions of likely mail clients.

http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/

It works now!!! Wahooo!!!

Thanks,
sl