PDA

View Full Version : hd install with 2 minor problems

rattler
01-21-2003, 07:05 AM
I apologize if this message is a dupe. I don't think my original attempt was successful.

I installed Knoppix onto an old machine of mine (233 mhz, 98mb RAM) using the install script. I was pleasantly surprised at the success, but I did encounter 2 small problems that I'd like to resolve:

1) The resolution came out to be 640x480. How can I change that to something else? I couldn't find an Xconfigurator program.

2) when I run df to see how much disk space I have free, I get a line explaining the information listed below the line (i.e., a header line), but I get no information. Why doesn't df work and how can I find out how much free space I have. WHe I use KDiskfree, it shows that the partition size for hda2 is N/A, the FULL % is N/A, and the amount free is 0. What up with that? Something very amiss here.

FWIW, here's my fstab and mtab:

fstab:

# /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
#
# filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass
/dev/hda2 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/hda3 none swap sw 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
# partitions found by Knoppix
#/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0
#/dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0

mtab:

none /proc proc rw 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs rw 0 0

As you can see, there aren't any mount points listed. What up with that?

Also, when I ssh'd over to that machine, the motd was:

Welcome to Knoppix (Kernel 2.4.20-xfs)

Could it be I have an xfs system and would that have anything to with my confusion?

-- so little understanding, so much confusion

Flibble
01-21-2003, 08:02 AM
The df issue is covered in the FAQ on this site.

Q: Why does "df" not list my root partition ("/")?

A: The entry for "/" is somehow missing in /etc/mtab. Either edit that file and add a correct line for "/" or better replace /etc/mtab with a link to /proc/mounts, thn everything should be shown. su -c "ln -sf /proc/mounts /etc/mtab"

01-21-2003, 11:19 PM
The df issue is covered in the FAQ on this site.

Q: Why does "df" not list my root partition ("/")?

A: The entry for "/" is somehow missing in /etc/mtab. Either edit that file and add a correct line for "/" or better replace /etc/mtab with a link to /proc/mounts, thn everything should be shown. su -c "ln -sf /proc/mounts /etc/mtab"

Thanks for the reply. That certainly did the trick. I remember looking through the FAQ but not seeing this one. I guess I must have missed that question.

After making the link to /proc/mounts, two questions arise:

1) where is /dev/root.OLD phsyically located, i.e., which partition? I assume that's the boot partition, which brings me to my next question...

2) why didn't Knoppix use the boot partition I already had? I

tuxtom
01-22-2003, 03:28 PM
1) where is /dev/root.OLD phsyically located, i.e., which partition? I assume that's the boot partition, which brings me to my next question...

2) why didn't Knoppix use the boot partition I already had? I
It's mounted at /initrd.
It is not /boot, but /boot/initrd.gz uncompressed to the ramdisk.
You can get rid of that and free the mem by
# ln -s /etc/init.d/initrd-tools /etc/rc5.d/S99initrd-tools

tom