PDA

View Full Version : Hang on CD boot initialization

robm
08-28-2003, 12:51 AM
Hello,

First I get this message displayed:

modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module block-major-2

Later during initialization it hangs at this screen display:

Scanning for Harddisk partitions and creating /etc/fstab...

I'm trying to boot from CD on a Toshiba Portege laptop with Windows XP installed, but I'm not trying to make the C: drive (NTFS) writable. I don't even care if it's readable at this point.

I've tried using noswap with the same results.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Rob

hannskis
09-21-2003, 01:30 PM
hi. I've got exactly the same problem like yours. Have you found a solution to it yet?

robm
09-22-2003, 02:36 PM
No, I just gave up...

hatsoap
09-23-2003, 06:12 AM
I think I was getting that message when I was having problems and my research leaned towards the message being to do with not having an internal FDD. My notebook uses a USB FDD and I didn't have it attached and received that message. You might also want to try playing with the NOAPIC setting to see whether that helps, as I had to include that to get mine to boot. Something to do with lack of APIC support for SIS900 based systems....

cargs
09-27-2003, 07:14 AM
Having same issue as RobM.

Running a Toshiba Sat 1800
Stops init at Scanning for harddisk partitions and creating /etc/fstab...

Also tried noswap

Help, anyone?!?!?

eekarum
11-12-2003, 02:27 AM
Same problem here, all Knoppix ISO images post-March 2003 bomb on my system, can't seem to make them boot successfully.

The last thing I see on screen is:

Scanning for harddisk partitions and creating /etc/fstab...
- The cursor freezes right there & whole system locks...

- The problem occurs even if I use cheat-codes:

knoppix noswap nohw noapic nosmp noapm 2
knoppix dma
knoppix failsafe

..Looks like I am down to the motherboard now, - Tyan S2460 dual-proc. systemboard with all optional PCI cards pulled.. I have also tried a different video card, but no change..

Actually this systemboard failed and has been replaced, so it's definitely good (in that respect) but can't run knoppix ?!

maxedout
11-13-2003, 09:07 PM
Scanning for Harddisk partitions and creating /etc/fstab...

3.3 does the same thing on my Toshiba Satellite, 3.2 worked just fine.

I entered "Ctl-c" and it continued to boot.

/dev/hda shows up in /etc/fstab but the system can not mount it?

Max

taz70
12-25-2003, 07:02 PM
Dido here. I have a Toshiba satellite 1800 series.
I have Mandrake 9.2 in one partition (with swap partition) and XP in another. I also have a fat32 shared partition that I use between the two OS's.
My system also hangs as the same point.
However, 3.2 works without any glitch.

-Thas

tearinghairout
12-25-2003, 10:02 PM
I had a similar problem recently on a toshiba satellite 18something-or-other, and as I recall the solution was a cheat code something along the lines of
dma=hda dma=hdb or perhaps the other way around, I can't quite remember.

taz70
12-29-2003, 05:56 PM
Thank you.
dma=hda did the trick.

maxedout
12-29-2003, 07:27 PM
I had a similar problem recently on a toshiba satellite 18something-or-other, and as I recall the solution was a cheat code something along the lines of
dma=hda dma=hdb or perhaps the other way around, I can't quite remember.

I guess the real question is, What changed in 3.3 that we now have to use the Cheat code dma=hda to mount hard drives that worked fine with 3.2 :?:

maxedout

Kryptik
12-31-2003, 12:31 AM
Well like so many other people in this thread, I can't get any of the 3.3 versions to work with my Toshiba. In this case a Satellite 1800. The dma=hda cheat code worked well enough to finish the boot process, but once everything was up and running my partitions (one FAT32 for Win98 and one NTFS for WinXP) weren't mounted. Would it make a difference that I only used the cheat for one of my partitions?

And has someone with this model gotten everything to work properly on started, if so what was your full list of cheatcodes?