PDA

View Full Version : Bad menu fonts in Debian's OpenOffice

Lexinton
08-28-2003, 11:19 AM
:cry: Hi to all! I've got a problem with OpenOffice's menu fonts.
So, in Knoppix, OpenOffice's menu fonts looks fine (identical to Windows version of the program) but in Debian GNU/Linux 3.0, with the same version of OpenOffice, menu fonts appears with wrong render. I have tried to change Andale Sans UI but fonts looks already wrong. Can you help me?

Viro
08-28-2003, 12:29 PM
What's wrong with the fonts?

Lexinton
08-28-2003, 01:43 PM
So, the fonts appear bigger than knoppix's fonts and bad scaled, without anti-alias (with anti-alias enabled in the options)

Stephen
08-28-2003, 08:19 PM
So, the fonts appear bigger than knoppix's fonts and bad scaled, without anti-alias (with anti-alias enabled in the options)

Knoppix uses a different default for the font size than Debian. Check in /etc/kde3/kdm/Xservers and change the -dpi 100 lines to -dpi 75. Then in your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 Change the order of the font paths so that the 75dpi line is above the the 100dpi one i.e:

FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/type1"

Also the type1 line in the file should be at the bottom of the paths. You may also want to create an ~/.Xresources with this line Xft.autohint: 1 this will enable the auto-hinting of the anit-aliased fonts when you login to your user. You will have to log out and re-start the X-Server for the changes to take effect and you should see a difference in your fonts.

rishigangoly
01-25-2004, 07:26 PM
I think I know what the original poster is talking about although I'm not sure if this is the forum to talk about it. I just faced the same problem just now.

I'm using Knoppix 3.2 and just upgraded openoffice.org since I wanted the english version installed and not the German one.

Apparently it installed Version OpenOffice 1.1.0-3 and I'm facing a problem with the fonts on the Menu and document. Everything is gone for a toss. It's a little hard to describe how bad it looks.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
dpkg -l openoffice* | grep ii
ii openoffice.org 1.1.0-3 high-quality office productivity suite
ii openoffice.org 1.1.0-3 OpenOffice.org office suite binary files
ii openoffice.org 1.1.0-3+2 Debian specific parts of OpenOffice.org
ii openoffice.org 1.1.0-3 English US language package for openoffice.o
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I looked at my X Config files as well and they appear to be as you have suggested.

Any other ideas / tips on where to look to tweak my configuration settings?

Regards

Rishi