PDA

View Full Version : knoppix crashing/freezing

punk000
08-29-2003, 04:28 AM
my knoppix keeps freezing/crashing and when i try to open apps sometimes they load, then dont appear... im not unix guru, but i managed to ctrl+alt+f2 and try a command... and thats when i keep getting this error.. someone please translate it to a solution for me, im not sure if it helps but here goes

I/O error:dev 0b:00, sector 431288
cloop: read error at pos 219251515 in file /cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX 30733 bytes lost

there was more than that, but thats all i mangaed to copy to a piece of paper.... any ideas what could be freezing my knoppix?

also i have another syptom.... if knoppix does freeze, it refuses to run for the next while.... sometimes 1 hour sometmes more.... it lags up bigtime on load. and then jsut stalls out

fingers99
08-29-2003, 05:27 AM
This looks to me like either a faulty CD or a CD drive which either needs cleaning or is going to meet its maker.

Did you do the checkcd routine or check the iso?

punk000
08-29-2003, 09:10 AM
no, i didnt do that..... is there any way to determine if its my cd drive? how can i clean it? its only 2 years old.. but it hasent once been cleaned.

fingers99
08-29-2003, 02:45 PM
Try the CD first. You just type

knoppix testcd

at the boot prompt.

If it is the CD drive you'll probably have noticed some errors in the past. Do check the cabling, then, go and buy yourself a can of compressed gas and blow the dust out from the inside out. If that doesn't do it, there are cheap drive cleaning kits out there (you can find them at electrical stores or record shops).

Dave_Bechtel
08-29-2003, 09:49 PM
--Geez, this is overkill for a cloop error. Just check the md5sums and re-burn the ISO to CDR at a slower speed.

Try the CD first. You just type

knoppix testcd

at the boot prompt.

If it is the CD drive you'll probably have noticed some errors in the past. Do check the cabling, then, go and buy yourself a can of compressed gas and blow the dust out from the inside out. If that doesn't do it, there are cheap drive cleaning kits out there (you can find them at electrical stores or record shops).

fingers99
08-29-2003, 10:50 PM
--Geez, this is overkill for a cloop error.

Well, it would be if he replaced the CDdrive before testing the disc! :D