PDA

View Full Version : New kernel installed: Cannot Shutdown

bongski55
08-29-2003, 06:57 AM
Compiled and installed new 2.4.22 kernel.Now I cannot shutdown pc. Usual way is to uncomment apm in rc.modules. Seems knoppix does not use that file? How to solve this?

Dave_Bechtel
08-29-2003, 09:57 PM
--I believe it's /etc/modules, which has ' apm power_off=1 '.

--BTW, if you say "I can't shutdown" it leads me to think there's something wrong with the shutdown scripts, system hangs without umounting all the drives, you're getting fsck errs on bootup, etc. ;-) In this case, I'm hoping everything is shutting down normally, it's just the PC doesn't power off on its own.

Compiled and installed new 2.4.22 kernel.Now I cannot shutdown pc. Usual way is to uncomment apm in rc.modules. Seems knoppix does not use that file? How to solve this?

bongski55
08-30-2003, 12:08 PM
--I believe it's /etc/modules, which has ' apm power_off=1 '.

It shuts down on 2.4.21(and the orig 2.4.20-xfs) so no reason to alter that .

--BTW, if you say "I can't shutdown" it leads me to think there's something wrong with the shutdown scripts, system hangs without umounting all the drives, you're getting fsck errs on bootup, etc. ;-) In this case, I'm hoping everything is shutting down normally, it's just the PC doesn't power off on its own.

Yes it does unmount.etc. It just gets into the 'power down' message but the pc is still on. It does not matter if I am root or non root.

Why am I getting this strange things?

oscar
08-30-2003, 07:03 PM
edit /etc/lilo.conf and add the following line

append="apm=on"

the run
lilo -v

The commands for powering off are
halt -p
poweroff

Stephen
08-30-2003, 07:52 PM
Yes it does unmount.etc. It just gets into the 'power down' message but the pc is still on. It does not matter if I am root or non root.

Why am I getting this strange things?

Have you compiled the apm as a module along with the new kernel?

bongski55
08-31-2003, 09:01 AM
Oscar,
These things already in grub(I don't use lilo) so I do not have to put anything in. Everything works in 2.4.20-xfs.

thanks.

Stephen,
Yes I compiled apm as module. In fact the apm.o file is there in lib/modules/2.4.22-I just checked it. Also if I 'lsmod' apm is listed.

Anyway I think I will just get back to previous kernel. I do not want to go through another kernel compile-took me more than 3 hours on this one.

thanks.

Stephen
09-01-2003, 08:43 AM
Oscar,
Stephen,
Yes I compiled apm as module. In fact the apm.o file is there in lib/modules/2.4.22-I just checked it. Also if I 'lsmod' apm is listed.

Anyway I think I will just get back to previous kernel. I do not want to go through another kernel compile-took me more than 3 hours on this one.

thanks.

I think I figured out the problem I compiled 2.4.22 tonight and had the same problem. I had to go into the General Setup then the ACPI Support and turn it off (this in Xconfig) I noticed an error when it was booting say that the ACPI was over-riding the APM BIOS and sure enough it would power down and not shut off once it (ACPI) was disabled it shut off like normal. So if you feel like another compile you may want to give it a try BTW how fast is the machine you are running it only took me about 25 minutes on an Athlon 1333.

bongski55
09-01-2003, 11:51 AM
Its an antique celeron 433 I use for linux.

bongski55
09-01-2003, 05:28 PM
Okay I've done another kernel config.Followed Stephen's suggestion-comment the acpi line in the .config and not the pc shutsdown.

Seems another kernel bug?

Dave_Bechtel
09-01-2003, 08:07 PM
--It takes me ~45 minutes on an ancient P233MMX.

--Try this:
' alias make=make -s -j 3 ' and then do your compile. This will make only error msgs display and do 3 compile jobs at a time.

Its an antique celeron 433 I use for linux.

Stephen
09-01-2003, 08:08 PM
Okay I've done another kernel config.Followed Stephen's suggestion-comment the acpi line in the .config and not the pc shutsdown.

Seems another kernel bug?

Looks like it may be one either that or the new ACPI does not like APM anymore either way it's damn annoying to say the least. I've got a celeron 450 (actually a 300a overclocked since I bought it five years and still going strong) I've compiled a couple of kernels on it they only took just over an hour but it has 512mb of ram. Good to hear you got it going BTW.

--Try this:
' alias make=make -s -j 3 ' and then do your compile. This will make only error msgs display and do 3 compile jobs at a time.

Going to have to give that one a try later you got all kinds of them little tricks Dave thanks.

bongski55
09-02-2003, 07:36 AM
I think I know what is taking me so long to compile a kernel-the number of modules. The way I do it is I just copy and save via make xconfig the orig config file. this way I avoid making decision as to what to include as modules. So many things on the config file are exotic names I never heard before and by default in knoppix are all in modules.

I think I will make this a separate post.