PDA

View Full Version : custom kernel with make-kpkg

hugo
08-29-2003, 11:19 PM
I had an idea :roll: that fb1280x1024 does not make much sense without the SUN12x22 compiled-in framebuffer font. They are beautiful... But... that support is not in the linux-2.4.21-xfs kernel. So... I set out to get it there. And... ran into trouble... :oops:

1. I chrooted to the knoppix source.
2. untarred the vanilla 2.4.21 kernel to /usr/src
3. copied .config from the -xfs dir and make menuconfig and added the font.
4. added the cmdline patch to setup.c
5. ran make-kpkg --revision 1 kernel_image and waited 1 hour.
6. dpkg -i /usr/src/kernel-image-2.4.21_1_i386.deb

and got an error: no fstab. That's right, there isn't.

Now it turns out: make-kpkg put everything in place, it just completed with an error. /boot has another system.map, config and vmlinuz (last one +23754 bigger than the orig.) The only change I made to the orig config is adding the framebuffer font.

Now the documents are not very clear on what is next: normall I run lilo. Now @System.map and @vmlinuz still point to the old ones.

Questions:

1. More people than me must have run into this eror with installing a new kernel_image?
2. copy the new vmlinuz over to the boot.img is that next?
3. Surely the @System.map and @vmlinuz must be updated?
4. How does he know which modules to get? There are now 2 dirs: 2.4.21 and 2.4.21-xfs

Thanks!

Hugo.

hugo
08-30-2003, 12:38 AM
Something I did not explicitly specify: I am trying to do this booting from the CD, WITHOUT a HD install of Knoppix, having copied the CD to a HD partition only. I guess I could boot from another Debian system and chroot to the Knoppix source from there, but questions 2,3 and 4 still remain...

Hugo.

magi
10-30-2003, 12:30 PM
:? :oops:

I got the same problem. Then I copy the fstab on the 'real' root to the 'source/KNOPPIX/etc' and re-run the dpkg -i. Another error message, "Could not find where the current root file system is mounted" Any suggestion?