PDA

View Full Version : Can't print?

slc
08-30-2003, 10:15 PM
Hi!

When I ran the Live CD, I added my printer and it worked right away, it was one of the things that most impressed me about Knoppix, since I've always had trouble printing thru Linux.

I did the harddrive install, added my printer, and tried to print. But no luck. It acts like it's printing, the Print Manager says it's "Processing...", if I look at the process-list, it's started up a whole bunch of things I know it needs for printing, but the document never gets to my printer. No blinking lights, nothing to indicate the printer's getting any message at all.

Does anyone know what's different about the HD install that might have messed up my printing?? :(

Thanks,
sl

Stephen
08-30-2003, 10:57 PM
Hi!

When I ran the Live CD, I added my printer and it worked right away, it was one of the things that most impressed me about Knoppix, since I've always had trouble printing thru Linux.

I did the harddrive install, added my printer, and tried to print. But no luck. It acts like it's printing, the Print Manager says it's "Processing...", if I look at the process-list, it's started up a whole bunch of things I know it needs for printing, but the document never gets to my printer. No blinking lights, nothing to indicate the printer's getting any message at all.

Does anyone know what's different about the HD install that might have messed up my printing?? :(

Thanks,
sl

Did you use CUPS to set up the printer? You would go to http://localhost:631 and then set up the printer from there I've had more luck with that then the KDE add printer.

slc
09-01-2003, 01:12 AM
This is what it looks like thru that cups-interface you suggested:

myprinter HP DeskJet 600/600C, CUPS+Gimp-Print v4.2.5
Description: HEWLETT-PACKARD DESKJET 612C
Printer State: processing, accepting jobs.
"Printing page 0, 6%"
Device URI: parallel:/dev/unknown-parallel0

That /dev/unknown thing doesn't look right...but I don't see how I'd change it.
And I really don't get why it isn't working the same as it did from the CD, that seems almost like a bait-and-switch tactic. :(

sl

slc
09-03-2003, 02:08 PM
Hello???

is everyone stumped??

Stephen
09-03-2003, 11:34 PM
This is what it looks like thru that cups-interface you suggested:

myprinter HP DeskJet 600/600C, CUPS+Gimp-Print v4.2.5
Description: HEWLETT-PACKARD DESKJET 612C
Printer State: processing, accepting jobs.
"Printing page 0, 6%"
Device URI: parallel:/dev/unknown-parallel0

That /dev/unknown thing doesn't look right...but I don't see how I'd change it.
And I really don't get why it isn't working the same as it did from the CD, that seems almost like a bait-and-switch tactic. :(

Here (http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-DeskJet_612C) is the page at Linux Printing (http:/www.linuxprinting.org) that is for your printer you may need to follow the instruction there to get it going. I can't really tell you why it is not working the same have you tried to use the CUPS interface to setup up a new printer and printed a test page from that one? To change the one that is already there you would go to the CUPS page then select Printers and then use the configure option.