PDA

View Full Version : Onboard sound and network-OK with CD, not HD install

AKengineer
08-31-2003, 10:47 AM
Great site folks.

I've got Knoppix 3.2 (7-26-2003) and Intel onboard sound and network cards. The sound and network cards wouldn't work initially with the CD, until I read the posts on this site and figured out that I should use the cheatcodes:

knoppix alsa noapic

with these codes, Knoppix works perfectly from the CD.

HOWEVER...

I installed Knoppix to my hard disk using the new script, knoppix-installer. It boots fine, but now I have no sound or network again. My machine also has Windows XP and Suse on it so I'm using the Grub installion from Suse for my bootmanager.

I've looked all over this site, the debian site, and on google for some method of disabling APIC by passing an argument to the kernel from Grub, but everything I've tried hasn't worked. I've tried:

noapic
apic=off
disableapic (this was the way Suse did it)
append=noapic

The kernel is detecting everything fine, lsmod shows the corrected modules loaded. There's definitely some sort of IRQ conflict that's causing the problem and the noapic cheatcode works great for the CD. What to do with the HD install??

I've spent the past 18 years working on DOS/windows machines, but I've only used linux for the past few months.

Thanks.

AK engineer

Stephen
08-31-2003, 08:36 PM
As root in a console window /etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig to setup the alsa devices then edit the file /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh and put the line aumix -w 75 -v 75 at the bottom of the file for the volume to be set at boot time. For the network card make sure the file /etc/network/interfaces looks like this:

# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian installation
# (network, broadcast and gateway are optional)
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

Then /etc/init.d/networking restart to re-start the network with the new settings. You may still need the noapic in the GRUB config but I can't be much help there never use it.

AKengineer
09-01-2003, 08:27 PM
Well, I went back and reinstalled with the old installation script knx-hdinstall, passed the noapic code to the kernel via GRUB and everything works. :D I did have to run alsa_init to get the sound working, however.

Not sure what the difference is between the two installation scripts other than setting up user accounts, but something is different...

:?