PDA

View Full Version : kernel panic whilst creating dirs and symlinks on ramdisk

malone
01-21-2003, 01:45 PM
Im using Knoppix 3.1 2002-12-10. I have an ide hard drive and an ide cd-rom.

The boot process seem fine until it gets to "Creating directories and symlinks on ramdisk...". It pauses for a while then I get these errors

scsi: aborting command due to timeout: pid 74, scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0 Read (10) 00 00 05 4d 68 00 00 08 00
hdd: timeout waiting for DMA
hdd: ide_dma_timeout: Lets do it again!stat = 0xd0, dma_stat = 0x60
hdd: DMA disabled
Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 00000018

At which point the kernel panics and it doesnt progress any further.

The cd-rom is /dev/hdd, but Knoppix says its "Accessing KNOPPIX CDROM at /dev/scd0...". So I was wondering if it was the ide-scsi emulation that was causing this problem. I have no scsi devices in my machine so I tried the boot command
knoppix noscsi nodma
but the same thing happens. I have had SuSE installed on the same machine for a long time so Im sure the setup can be supported.

Any pointers in the right direction would be very helpful

eadz
01-21-2003, 02:07 PM
most likely a cdrom read error, so check the cd itself, and the drive. I'm pretty sure there is no way to turn off scsi emulation, but i don't think it will make a difference.

malone
01-21-2003, 03:22 PM
Ah yes, I swapped the cd drive with another one and now it works perfectly. Its a bit ironic that the original drive was the one I used to burn the cd in the first place, ah well its old and i guess its on its way out :|

Thanks a lot for the help :)