PDA

View Full Version : problem with apt-get -f install & ksensors

apoplex
08-31-2003, 12:09 PM
Hi,

i tried to install some packages like kdelibs3 etc...It doesnt work because of some errors, anyway now i get always this error message using apt-get :

" Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).:"

when i start apt-get -f install, i get this message :

"The following packages will be REMOVED:
ark k3b kaddressbook kalarm kamera kandy kappfinder karbon karm kasteroids kate kate-plugins kbattleship kbear kbounce kcalc kcharselect kchart kcmlinuz kcoloredit kcontrol kcron kdat kde-themes-thinkeramik kdeaddons-kfile-plugins kdeadmin-kfile-plugins kdebase kdebase-bin kdebase-kio-plugins kdegraphics-kfile-plugins kdelibs-bin kdelibs4 kdelibs4-dev kdemultimedia-kfile-plugins kdenetwork-kfile-plugins kdepasswd kdepim kdepim-kfile-plugins
kdepim-libs kdeprint kdesktop kdessh kdevelop kdevelop-data kdf kdm kdvi kedit kfax kfind
kfloppy kformula kgeo kget kghostview kgpgcertmanager khelpcenter khexedit kicker kiconedit kivio kjots klaptopdaemon klipper kmahjongg kmail kmailcvt kmenuedit kmix kmrml knotes koffice-data koffice-libs komba2 kompare konq-plugins konqueror konqueror-nsplugins konsole kooka kopete korganizer koshell kpackage kpager kpaint kpersonalizer kpf kpilot kppp kpresenter krdc kreversi krfb kruler krusader kscd ksensors ksmserver ksnapshot ksokoban ksplash kspread kstars ksync ksysguard ksysv kteatime ktimer ktip kugar kuickshow kuser kview kviewshell kvirc kwin kword kxconfig libkdegames1 libkdenetwork2 libkonq4 libkscan1 lisa secpolicy 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 125 to remove and 150 not upgraded.
1 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 251MB will be freed."

But I dont want to remove this packages !! What should I do to ?!

Btw, anyone experiences with ksensors ? when i start ksensors i get this message: "ksensors: error while loading shared libraries: libkdeui.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

Anybody an idea?

thanks

Stephen
08-31-2003, 09:08 PM
Hi,

i tried to install some packages like kdelibs3 etc...It doesnt work because of some errors, anyway now i get always this error message using apt-get :

But I dont want to remove this packages !! What should I do to ?!

You should not be installing kdelib3 you will be downgrading the install of KDE from the present 3.x to 2.x the removals you were seeing with apt was it trying to remove KDE3.x.

Btw, anyone experiences with ksensors ? when i start ksensors i get this message: "ksensors: error while loading shared libraries: libkdeui.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

Anybody an idea?

thanks

I got 1 result (http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-linux/2002-Oct/1568.html) from googling (http://www.google.com/linux?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=ksensors%3A%20error%20while%20loading%20shared%2 0libraries%3A%20libkdeui.so.3&btnG=Google+Search) on your error it's in german but you can see that it is a library for KDE2 you do not have KDE2 on the system. Also if I understand the procedure correctly you will have to recompile the kernel to enable support for the sensors and create the devices it uses.

oscar
09-01-2003, 12:01 AM
ksensors is a gui frontend for lm_sensors.
you must install lm_sensors and the kernel need to be patched and recompilled to suport lm_sensors.
Patches are at lm-sensors site.

garyng
09-01-2003, 07:08 AM
The more I played with apt-get(and the share library architecture of linux/GNU in the general), the more I think it is even worse than the Window DLL nightmare. Running KDE3 meaning most KDE2 applications can no longer run ? Seems that GNOME is a bit better as at least GTK1.2 and GTK 2.0 can co-exist.

Superstoned
09-01-2003, 12:36 PM
compared to the dependency-problems under linux, for me the DLL-story isnt a nightmare at all... winblow$ is way more easy on this point. but as long as apt-get can deal with the dependency's, I dont care.

but it cant always...

my problem is, when I try to upgrade kde from 3.1.2 to 3.1.3, apt-get wants to remove 125 packages (whole kde). How can I force the install of 3.1.3?

Henk Poley
09-01-2003, 08:27 PM
Uhm, sorry to interrupt your nightmares, but I guess the problem is that Knopper hasn't set apt-get to get packages the unstable-branche (Sid). 'unstable' isn't 'crashprone', it's just that for Debian a package needs to be really stable before it get's into the stable-branch (Woody). This takes a long time.

The utils in Woody are compiled against Woody (old) libs. Apt-get will ditch your new ones. You can fix this by fetching a package like this "apt-get install package/unstable" or "apt-get install package/testing". Packages are copied to the 'testing'-branch (Sarge) when they weren't filed any bugreports against them for 2 (or 3?) weeks. So those are probably a bit less buggier than plain-unstable.

There's also some config file you can edit so apt-get will default to Sarge or Sid. But I never came to changeing this myself, but search the docs if you want.

Superstoned
09-02-2003, 07:59 PM
well, I hope I have this right:
most stable debian is "stable"
then, a bit less stable is "testing"
then you have "unstable".

knoppix mostly consists of "testing"
and kde 3.1.3 is in testing
and I can install and download other "testing" debs

and it should be easy to install kde 3.1.3 after an install of knoppix

but I seem to have done something wrong

and I cant - instead, apt-get (and synaptic) wants to remove all kde-packages...

???

garyng
09-03-2003, 12:32 AM
Because it is testing/unstable, debian doesn't gurantee the packages in them won't step on each other's foot.

The package you want to install use kdelib3 which KDE 3.1.3 doen't have(it has kdelib4 instead). Unfortunately, the package maintainer think that these two are mutually exclusive to each other(I don't know why it is so as if properly arranged, it should be able to co-exist but that I believe is too late for such change) so if you want to install one, the other must be removed. But the whole KDE 3.1.3 suite depends on kdelib4 and that is what you saw. So unless someone rebuild the modules you want with those kdelib4 libraries and repackage them, you are stucked.

Superstoned
09-03-2003, 09:25 AM
So I'll just have to wait until knoppix comes out with 3.1.3? Or won't that happen cuz Klaus has the same problem?

anyway its a kind of a bug isnt it?

tnx for the info... I'll just wait :roll:

garyng
09-03-2003, 02:15 PM
So I'll just have to wait until knoppix comes out with 3.1.3? Or won't that happen cuz Klaus has the same problem?

anyway its a kind of a bug isnt it?

tnx for the info... I'll just wait :roll:

3.1.2 and 3.1.3 both use kdelib4. Klaus doesn't has the problem because he doesn't include that(your package) in the CD or he either needs to build them himself or would be stucked, just as you do. Debian's apt-get is a good way to maintain these dependency nightmare but you are in the hand of the package maintainer. That means if you really want to pick and choose, may be RPM(or even further, everything from source) is a better option. A case in point, I have found 2 repositories of KDE 3.1.3, one has the kaddressbook built with kdelib4(that is from kde.org) and the other doesn't. So when I apt-get kaddressbook(which would be from debian.org), I saw the same scary question which is to remove the whole KDE 3.1.3.

Superstoned
09-03-2003, 02:20 PM
So after all its an mistake made by the kde-package-mantainer? I guess it'll be fixed?

TheCyberDude
09-03-2003, 05:05 PM
Go here and Read

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2971[/url]