PDA

View Full Version : messages and logo at booting

wk
08-31-2003, 05:51 PM
At the beginning KNOPPIX displays logo in framebuffer (file logo.16 from boot.img) and
message: "Welcome to KNOPPIX Linux live on CD" (or something like this). I have two questions:
1. why the image displays even if I delete file logo.16?
2. How to change the message "Welcome..."?

thanks in advance

wk

SillyFly
09-02-2003, 03:54 PM
I think you are confusing two different things.

the file logo.16 is displayed to the screen at the very begining of the boot proccess, and it is a large rectangle taking most of your screen, with the bottom saying something like :
KNOPPIX 06/06/2003 www.knopper.com

boot:

(IIRC :) )
now, after that screen is gone you see a penguin sitting at the top of the screen, and under it the text : "Welcome to the KNOPPIX live Linux-On-CD" (with KNOPPIX shown in various colors).
this text is diplayed by the file linuxrc, wich is found inside miniroot.gz inside boot.img
the image is no-where to be found, and I suspect is embedded inside the kernel (can any of you confirm or deny that?)

freekvw
09-02-2003, 04:01 PM
and I suspect is embedded inside the kernel (can any of you confirm or deny that?)

I can confirm that...

wk
09-02-2003, 05:47 PM
I think you are confusing two different things.
this text is diplayed by the file linuxrc, wich is found inside miniroot.gz inside boot.img
the image is no-where to be found, and I suspect is embedded inside the kernel (can any of you confirm or deny that?)

OK, that was it (I thought that boot image is the penguin). But what about this line "Welcome..." - is miniroot.gz a normal gzip file? Can I unpack it, edit the file and gzip it again? (well, a tried that and I got kernel panic, what I did wrong? Is it possible to change that line?)

thanks,
wk

SillyFly
09-02-2003, 07:23 PM
unzip it, then mount it (it's an ext2 I think)
inside it edit the file linuxrc, umount miniroot, and re-gzip it

wk
09-03-2003, 12:04 PM
unzip it, then mount it (it's an ext2 I think)
inside it edit the file linuxrc, umount miniroot, and re-gzip it

It seems like I'm too lame even to mount a file...:
# mount -o loop=/dev/loop0 -t ext2 /my/working/directory/miniroot /mnt
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop0,
or too many mounted file systems

But: 1) fs i OK, in KNOPPIX documentation, everywhere in the web, I found this
command with ext2 specified; 2) there are no special options (except loop, but
this is mandatory in this case); 3) there are no other loop mounted file systems (but I tried
also on other loops: 0..7);
4) I have no clue what this problem with bad superblock means, maybe this is the point.

Maybe some of you had the same problem?

wk

Craig Caughlin
09-04-2003, 03:20 PM
Here's what I did...

Log onto your Linux box as root, then...

1.) gunzip miniroot.gz
2.) mount miniroot /pathtowherethe/minirootfileis -t ext2 -o loop=/dev/loop0
3.) vi linuxrc and then make your modfications
4.) umount mroot
5.) gzip -9 miniroot
stick it back into boot.img and off you go.....

It worked perfectly for me. Hope that helps.

Craig

wk
09-04-2003, 05:50 PM
OK, that's what I was doing before, but I fogot that I was trying to mount a file that I had
personally damaged few days ago :) Now everything is OK. Thanks and sorry for troubling.

wk

maxIT
03-31-2006, 06:46 AM
and I suspect is embedded inside the kernel (can any of you confirm or deny that?)

I can confirm that...

/usr/include/linux/linux_logo.h 8)