PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 3.1 Internet Setup

DOS
09-01-2003, 08:02 AM
How do I get on the internet with Knoppix 3.1 ?
I have Aol,Juno,and Earthlink.
Can someone walk me thru the steps of setting up my internet connection ?

Thanks !

Sam

Stephen
09-01-2003, 08:09 AM
How do I get on the internet with Knoppix 3.1 ?
I have Aol,Juno,and Earthlink.
Can someone walk me thru the steps of setting up my internet connection ?

Thanks !

Sam

Please do not cross post I have deleted the other one. That being said a little more information is required how do you connect with modem or ethernet card? Also you may want to use the search function in the upper right of the web page many questions have already been asked and answered

DOS
09-01-2003, 08:13 AM
I am sorry about crossposting . I am new here .
I connect with a 56k modem in the USA .

Sam

bitey
09-01-2003, 09:24 AM
Your best bet is the Earthlink account because you don't need proprietary software to connect.

The connection parameters, such as access number and user name, go in Modem Dialer (KNOPPIX => Network/Internet => Modem Dialer). You'll use KMail for e-mail and Mozilla and Konqueror to browse the web.

It will work perfectly as long as Knoppix recognizes your modem, but lots of computers these days have cheap "winmodems" that only work with certain operating systems. A really good external modem isn't too expensive and will work better no matter which operating system you use.

Dark19
10-15-2003, 03:13 AM
Hey i have the same problem but my internet conection is through a lan network what is there to do?

Harry Kuhman
10-15-2003, 04:43 AM
Hey i have the same problem but my internet conection is through a lan network what is there to do?
You too could proivide a bit more information. There are a wide range of ways that you can connect through a lan. For example, I have a local lan and connect through a DSL router. The router deals with all of the login in stuff and provides dhcp configuration to assign an IP address and related info to my computers so I have to do nothing to connect to the Internet via Knoppix, it's just there. (OK, I do have to jump through some hoops to get my knotebook on-line after running the Windows "security updates", but my desktop just plain works). If you don't have something that provides DHCP services you may have to run netcardconfig and tell Knoppix what settings you use. And I expect there might be other issues, but these should be the main ones.

If you really have the same problem then I have to wonder, why are both of you using Knoppix 3.1???. I've been using Knoppix on and off for over a year and 3.1 still predates me.. I would hope that the information I'm posting also applies to 3.1, but is there a good reason why anyone is staying on 3.1 and not moving to a more current version, particularly if 3.1 isn't doing what you need?

Dark19
10-16-2003, 09:51 AM
thx for the help i use help because it bots on cd and i don't need to instal on a hard disk because i don't have a spear one!

Freanan
11-02-2003, 02:57 PM
It will work perfectly as long as Knoppix recognizes your modem, but lots of computers these days have cheap "winmodems" that only work with certain operating systems. A really good external modem isn't too expensive and will work better no matter which operating system you use.

I have exactly this problem with my PC and every Unix-like OS i ever tried to use!
I try to get online with kppp and it tells me, that my modem is occupied..
Offc ourse i tried if i had selected the wrong 'COM' but it never really worked.
So is this because i have the wrong modem?
Or do i just have to get drivers? Or did i forget something important?

@DOS:
I think after i never had any working internet-connection with linux my advice will probably be not that great, but according to what i read you have just to start kppp, insert the infos from your provider and click 'connect'.