PDA

View Full Version : Inspiron 5150 not booting

neri
09-01-2003, 04:28 PM
Hi, I've been unable to boot knoppix in my brand new Dell Inspiron 5150. I've tried a variety of boottime options (failsafe, xmodule=radeon, xmodule=fbdev, noapic, 2, idebus=33) to no avail.

In failsafe mode, I see the kernel decompress, but everything stops with:

CPU speed is 3056.5628 MHz
Host bus clock speed is 0.000 MHz
cpu: 0, clocks: 0, slice: 0

Any clues?

LNMEgo
09-08-2003, 01:38 AM
I'm having the same problems. Dell 5150 1600x1200 resolution. Radeon 9000 video card. Yes, this laptop is mentioned an linuxlaptops. They get it to work with gentoo and other Linux OSs.

Anxiously awaiting help... :-)

spoon
09-08-2003, 12:11 PM
:oops:

Hi,

I have the same problem as you. I own a DELL 5150 Inspiron (that is powerful otherwise under windows snif :roll: ) but i donnot manage to install ANY version of linux. I tried knoppix 3.2, mandrake 9.1, red hat 8, and none of them are working. I always have the same problem:

Could someone help me please? i really need it , I am so bad on linux ( a little bit as my english, sorry for that :D )

here is my config:

P4 3.06GHtz
GeFX5200 32Mb
hd 40Go
UXGA 1600*1200

really hopping help :roll:

neri
09-08-2003, 08:06 PM
I must say that I did manage to install debian on this machine, it's just Knoppix that won't start. I began with the stable installation CD, and then I upgraded to testing (check the debian.org if you don't know what I'm talking about). Two other guys have set up pages describing successfull installations with Gentoo and Crux linux (see www.linux-laptop.net).

The only thing that gave me real trouble was XFree, until I upgraded to 4.3.0 (it seems that the Radeon 9000 that comes with the 5150 is only supported in this release).

As a sideline, I recently discovered a really sweet mini-live-cd that is great for preinstallation work (fs resizing, partitioning, etc.) and as a rescue disk. It's called System Rescue CD, you can find it at systemrescuecd.org. The ISO is just 67MB, this is a containe little system that tries to serve a definite purpose (partitioning/rescue).

bond
09-11-2003, 02:18 PM
Hi every1,

I had the same problem with knoppix too! Couldnt get it to run past the second screen.

I tried other Linux versions:

Red hat 9 (WORKS!) - it recognizes all the hardware, inluding the ATI Radeon 9000 MOBILE (I was impressed)!. Everything went smoothly.!

Mandrake 9 (the first version, doesnt work), go and download the new beta release of 9.0 RC2

at

ftp://mandrake.mirrors.pair.com/mandrake-iso/i586

there are more mirros on the mandrake site if thats doesnt work.

basically its a matter of the kernel recognzing the right H/W, and Red Hat seems to do a splendid job of this ! Mandrake works too!

I havent tried Debian or Suse yet, hopefully a new beta release of Knoppiz with better Hardware detection and updated driver list comes out soon.

good luck !

-bond 8)

crom
10-03-2003, 07:44 PM
Hi,

I installed slackware 9.1 and it worked right out of the box. I noticed that the computer got stuck during boot right after the cpu stuff when I enabled:

[ ] Local APIC support on uniprocessors

under Prosessor type and features in the menuconfig.

Maybe this should be disabled by default?

nalin
10-08-2003, 06:27 AM
Hi, im the guy who wrote the gentoo guide mentioned before. Consequently ive been in touch with quite a few trying to throw a better operating system on this machine

I have had no problems with knoppix, as a matter of fact prior to gentoo 1.4 release (as opposed to prerealease) it wouldnt boot with the gentoo disk and thus knoppix was used as a stepping stone to get my distro on there, and thus 3.2 has run an atleast one 5150.

That said, in the course of conversations with others and a warrenty replacement I have concluded that there are a number of different bios versions available, and now if I understand correctly, two video cards, probably a plethora of other hardware, etc.
I would suspect it is perhaps a problematic bios version (two guy I corresponded with had a buggy bios version that halved cpu speed, so we are not necessarily talking about particularly throughly tested stuff here). As a first step it couldnt hurt to upgrade

There are also serious errors with the way the ACPI stuff works on this machine, or perhaps how it is implemented on all but newer kernels. In my case a few months back when I got this laptop, the ONLY kernels which I found to boot with acpi enabled in any form (even as unloaded modules) were the development and ac series kernels. With newer kernel versions this seems to have been fixed, but this could also be an artifect of the fact that I got a replacement machine from dell with a different bios version and I assume minor hardware variations.

isnoop
10-17-2003, 07:11 AM
Just another 5150 user with the same problem.

pythagoras
10-19-2003, 10:28 PM
i have the nvidia go 5200 video card (64mb) and no linux yet will boot.

sliqx
10-20-2003, 04:07 AM
No luck with knoppix. An older Mandrake (8.1) worked for me.
The new 9.2 works as well. That's with a nvidia 5200 based laptop.

iocain
10-25-2003, 09:15 AM
I'm seeing this same behaviour on a Dell Inspiron 5150 with the NVIDIA Go5200 chipset and an SXGA+ LCD. If only Dell would change the name of a laptop when they totally change its features!

Hi, I've been unable to boot knoppix in my brand new Dell Inspiron 5150. I've tried a variety of boottime options (failsafe, xmodule=radeon, xmodule=fbdev, noapic, 2, idebus=33) to no avail.

In failsafe mode, I see the kernel decompress, but everything stops with:

Any clues?

hotblack
10-28-2003, 03:02 AM
I've got this figured out, at least with Mandrake 9.1 - the trick is to press F1 at the first boot screen, then type 'linux acpi=on'. Everything boots up properly after that. Unfortunately, I *still* haven't been able to get Knoppix to boot, but hopefully this will give somebody somewhere enough of a clue to get started.

Just for the record, my Dell Inspiron 5150 is the model with a 1400x1050 display and NVidia Go5200 video chipset...

chameleon
11-16-2003, 11:49 PM
Same here Dell Inspiron 5150 and I can't get knoppix to run. I type in knoppix lang=us then a few lines of text appears, the screen goes black and that's it.

Knoppix on the desktop is a great resource -- I'd love to run it on the laptop as well... :(

blaze
02-18-2004, 04:32 AM
Well I just installed Knoppix On my DELL INSPIRON 5150. It was hard and VERY frusterating but I got it, Although I did recieve errors, Never did I get the error that you got. My error was a kernel panic, but some how it went away! Also had a bit of a scruffle with the lilo.conf needing to change boot=/dev/hda to boot=/dev/hdc, all in all it was worth it so far if you need help maybe I could assist you some how...

totothehero
02-20-2004, 01:07 AM
i'm also getting an init panic during the boot. i've tried using the noscsi and nosmp boot time options mentioned in other threads. I was hoping blaze could elaborate on what, exactly, his kernel panic was, and how he dealt with it.

thanks
toto

redeagle
03-19-2004, 04:10 PM
hey i have brand new dellinspiron 5100, it appears to load and run knoppix and pclinux live cd's really well

the only problem is it only see's one nic card, the cat 5 card and does not recognize the wifi... this is terrible problem i need the wifi work..

anyone get theirs working.. it is a true mobile 1300, i do have mobile radeon 32, my router is a blitz wifi..

i tried boot: knoppix nosmp

but to no avail.. anyway i really need this to work on wifi if someone knows how... keep in mind im a noob so spell it out for me line by line plz

thank you very much

lazyevil
04-10-2004, 09:23 PM
ok. I'm working w/ a dell inspiron 5150, and I got knoppix to work!!

Before I tell you though I think you should know that in California 5150 is a police code:

Q: What is a 5150?

A: 5150 is a legal hold imposed on a person that is believed to be in need of involuntary psychiatric treatment in the state of California. The person is believed to be a combination of 1 or more of the following:

* A Danger to Self
* A Danger to Others
* Gravely Disabled

<a href=http://www.toddlertime.com/5150/5150-law.htm>http://www.toddlertime.com/5150/5150-law.htm</a>

first: this did NOT work with knoppix 3.2 which (knoppix-std 0.1 is based on)

it DOES work with knoppix from las, which i assume is a later version :) (localareasecurity.com (http://www.localareasecurity.com)

so the cheats are:

knoppix vga=ext nosmp

X works. Thats up to you and your vid card.
-lazyE

mue
04-19-2004, 01:44 AM
Hi..

i'm working with dell inspirion 5150 with NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 video adapter. got LAS to work too. but cant figure out how to get the broadcom ethernet adapter n the dell true mobile 1300 workin :/

Someone can help?

(sry for my bad english)

greetz

kornface13
04-20-2004, 08:14 PM
for all you people who say the screen just goes blank, use this cheat code knoppix nosmp . it worked for me, but then while its booting i get 3 trillion errors and eventually it says PANIC: sleeping for 30 seconds, and will do nothing. See if the nosmp fixes your problem and let me know if you have any fixes for me. Thanks.