PDA

View Full Version : boot from floppy failed with Custom Kernel

hugo
09-01-2003, 08:53 PM
I boot the Knoppix CD to build a kernel with SUN22x12 fonts enabled.
Using these steps:

1. chroot to the Knoppix tree on disk.

2. Dnld the vanilla 2.4.21 kernel. Untar it and use the Knoppix .config file. Then with make menuconfig enable the SUN22x12 fonts.

3. Apply the knoppix patch to setup.c

4. Do NOT apply the xfs patch but DO apply the cramfs patch, i.e. copy the do_mounts.c module from a Debian 2.4.21 kernel source.

5. change /etc/kernel-img.conf to say do_bootfloppy + do_bootloader=no and do_initrd=yes

6. run make-kpkg --revision 1 --initrd

7. install the .deb it created. It will fail on an error that the initd image could not be created because there is no /etc/fstab. Which is true.

8. mount the knoppix boot.img and extract miniroot.gz from it, mount that and change the scsi modules in it to those from the newly installed kernel(but why would they be different? But they are!). Put that back and change vmlinuz in the boot image for the vmlinuz(that is bigger and that makes sense) just created. Copy the boot.img to a floppy.

9. Create the compressed Knoppix file

10. Boot from the created floppy: I get "Boot Failed: replace floppy.
He reads the vmlinuz file but hickups on getting the initrd=miniroot.gz file.

NOTE: I did exactly the same but DID apply the xfs patch and had success. The only problem was he said he could not find loop.o (block-major-7) and that was true also, so I decided to try it without the xfs patch and had this result.

Any experts out there that can shed light on this? Did I miss a step?

Thanks!

Hugo.