PDA

View Full Version : Please Post a Simple CONFIG file for Kernel Config

bongski55
09-02-2003, 07:39 AM
I think I know what is taking me so long to compile a kernel-the number of modules. The way I do it is I just copy and save via make xconfig the original knoppix config file. This way I avoid making decision as to what to include as modules. So many things on the config file are exotic names I never heard before and by default in knoppix are all in modules.

So could someone please give me a sample config file that is simple and can be used as a basis in kernel compilation

Dave_Bechtel
09-03-2003, 05:55 AM
--I tried emailing you via the links on this board, but you're not available for that according to your profile. My makefile is ~24K, I don't think this board supports posts that long. Post your obfuscated email ( me at whatever dot blah ) and I'll send you my 2.4.22 config.

--NOTE: You WILL have to go thru the kernel config menus yourself line-by-line and change things according to your hardware! Don't just use my config file blindly, I can pretty much guarantee the kernel won't boot right on your box. For starters, you need a copy of your current ' lsmod ' so that you retain your network card and other settings. I also elected to compile reiserfs into the kernel directly so an initrd wouldn't be needed.

--Use of other users' kernel config files is intended as a learning experience as to what can be taken out. I elected to keep a lot of stuff like network cards in, JIC I changed the hardware; that's why I have ' discover ' installed. But if you want, you can take out EVERYTHING that doesn't apply to your current system. The downside is that if you add any new hardware, you have to reboot with Knoppix CD 1st, find out what got loaded, and then recompile your kernel with that info. ;-)

I think I know what is taking me so long to compile a kernel-the number of modules. The way I do it is I just copy and save via make xconfig the original knoppix config file. This way I avoid making decision as to what to include as modules. So many things on the config file are exotic names I never heard before and by default in knoppix are all in modules.

So could someone please give me a sample config file that is simple and can be used as a basis in kernel compilation

bongski55
09-03-2003, 12:16 PM
I have just made a 24 page printout of my slackware 9 config file to be able to compare it with another 24 page knoppix config printout.

I also intend to print your config file when I receive it.

Thanks a lot!

bong

Dave_Bechtel
09-03-2003, 09:12 PM
--You could save a lot of paper by using ' diff ' or viewing the files side-by-side in something like ' nedit ' with a small font. ;-)

I have just made a 24 page printout of my slackware 9 config file to be able to compare it with another 24 page knoppix config printout.

I also intend to print your config file when I receive it.

Thanks a lot!

bong

bongski55
09-04-2003, 05:51 AM
Nah,reading it on paper is better,gentle to the eyes and besides I can read them during tv commercial breaks.

Dave_Bechtel
09-06-2003, 12:57 AM
--How are things working out? I just got 2.6.0-test4 working on a VMware Knoppix-DVD install.

Nah,reading it on paper is better,gentle to the eyes and besides I can read them during tv commercial breaks.

bongski55
09-06-2003, 05:58 AM
I did not have time yet to do a compile But I did looked into the configs and found differences in the IDE section of knoppix and slackware. It may be the cause of my previously posted 'partition not detected' on the latest knoppix(7.26?). For some reason when I compile using the default 2.4.21-xfs I get 'drive not partitoned' error. This does not happen if I use the slackware 9 config on knoppix.