PDA

View Full Version : Philips PCVC720K/40 XS ToUcam USB Webcam Support

FZ
09-02-2003, 11:37 AM
Hi,

Does Knoppix (kernel 2.4.19-xfs) suport Philips PCVC720K/40 webcam? I've just bought one and plugged it in and since there was no pcw module in my Debian ( 2.4.18 ) I've tried to boot the machine with Knoppix to see if it works. Then in the root shell I've installed pwc and videolinux modules (usb modules were already loaded).

Then I checked /dev/video and created a symbolic link to is using the name: /dev/video0 using the command: ln -sf /dev/video0 /dev/video

Then I tried to run xawt by simply issuing its name and also using this command: xawtv -c /dev/video0

Both failed complaining that there is no such device /dev/video0

I also tried it with /dev/video but I've got the same error message.

What can be the problem? How can I troubleshoot or diagnose it? Can my webcam be problematic or what?

Hope somebody can enlighten me :roll:

ktheking
09-15-2003, 10:40 AM
download latest knoppix (05/09/03 - contains kernel 2.4.22) and use gqcam (K=>Multimedia=>Graphic) to view usb webcam.
Easy as 1,2,3 .

greetzzzz,

FZ
09-15-2003, 11:08 AM
Thanks for your reply. I decided to buy a higher model of Philips, namely PCVC 730K because it is supported by pwc since version 8.0 and since kernel version 2.4.6

I believe this model is going to run with my current KNOPPIX version (3.1).

JoDaY
09-20-2003, 06:38 PM
Hi,

download latest knoppix (05/09/03 - contains kernel 2.4.22) and use gqcam (K=>Multimedia=>Graphic) to view usb webcam.
Easy as 1,2,3 .
greetzzzz,

I've tried pwc module with 3.2 (2003/06/06), and 3.2 (05/06/2003) without succes...

I've tried this on two different machine (chipset sis and via):
I've also error message in dmesg:
usb_control/bulk_msg: timeout
usbdevfs: USBDEVFS_CONTROL failed dev 5 rqt 128 rq 6 len 490 ret -110

The mic is recognised as audio (usbaudio) but can't get /dev/audio...

I've also tried to load pwc module and videodev without result :(

Thanks !

ktheking
09-22-2003, 04:31 PM
let me guess..
you're working an VIA chipset ?

Try your camera for a change on another chipset (or an usb controller card).

I think having both audio in and video from webcam won't work simultaniously.
For more info about usb devices check out http://www.linux-usb.org/
Maybe you stumble on site dedicated to this camera.
First check out on which chip the camera is based. Maybe you'll find a solution easier then searching on philips.

JoDaY
09-22-2003, 07:06 PM
Hi,

Thanks for your response but:

let me guess..
you're working an VIA chipset ? You needn't guessing I've wrote it... :wink:

- I know that via chipset cause sometimes some problems that's why I've tried it on another machine which has an sis chipset (cf my previous post)

- I'm not looking for philips on the web ! thanks, but I know that my camera is a pcvc720k/40 and that the module for it is pwc --> and i know that because I found it on the web site (http://www.smcc.demon.nl/webcam/)

I think having both audio in and video from webcam won't work simultaniously.
The camera has a mic... you've sometimes sound vith video :D Don't you ? :lol:

Can I ask you why you've wroted: "download latest knoppix (05/09/03 - contains kernel 2.4.22) and use gqcam (K=>Multimedia=>Graphic) to view usb webcam.
Easy as 1,2,3 . " ? :roll:

ktheking
09-24-2003, 01:09 AM
Yeah the latest knoppix contains kernel above 2.4.22 which handles usb a lot (even much much better) usb then before.
So for usb issues it wouldn't hurt to use the latest kernel.... :wink:

And for the tip about gqcam : I've encountered people before who had troubles with xawtv but when using gqcam they could use the webcam.
Search the knoppix site on 'gqcam' and 'webcam' . I think you will encounter similarities... .

JoDaY
02-26-2004, 01:14 PM
I would thanks you for your help :D

At this time I've tried lot of thing in order to make this damned webcam works ...

Several kernel (2.4.20,2.4.21,2.4.22,2.4.24,2.6.0,2.6.1,2.6.2) ...

No matter it's blind :?

I think Philips should be write on Manufacturer's black list, developers lost too much time to find hardware caracteristics that manufacturers like Philips (ant too much others) hide.

I'm a GNU/Linux consumer and I'll never buy any other products from this firm so far It will be more cooperative...

ktheking
03-01-2004, 12:45 AM
As far as I am consirned, I stopped buying (and selling) philips a long time ago. Philips went a long time ago from engeering to selling (putting labels on products that you don't manufacter) . (An old school teacher of mine was an ex-development-engineer at Philips, I got the full inside info about it from him).
I got 4 creative webcams pro (based on OV511 chipset) ,which works flawless.