PDA

View Full Version : Freezing

Dr Snark
09-02-2003, 04:08 PM
Hi I have a Problem == Every time i use Knoppix -- i get random Feeezing., it could be a minute or 30 seconds into my session that it freezes.

i thougt installing it would help, but i thought wrong.

MattT
09-02-2003, 04:42 PM
You will have to tells us more about the hardware you are using first. Because you didn't I'm going to take a random guess. :lol:

You have a... :? :x :? Toshiba Laptop :) :lol:

This happend to me with a lot of Linux distros on my old Toshiba Techra. Never did find how to fix it.

Dr Snark
09-02-2003, 05:55 PM
Ok Here is My Computer:

750 megahertz AMD Duron
32 kilobyte primary memory cache
64 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Board: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-6340(VT8363)
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG 06/06/2001
Drives Memory Modules c,d
75.21 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
26.52 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

CyberDrv CW088D CD-R/RW [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

MDT MD200EB-32BHF0 [Hard drive] (20.02 GB) -- drive 1
WDC WD600AB-22BVA0 [Hard drive] (60.02 GB) -- drive 0

ALL-IN-WONDER RADEON 7500 [Display adapter]
COMPAQ S700 [Monitor] (16.3"vis, s/n 931CD61SF152, August 1999)

Logitech USB Wheel Mouse

and it works Fine on My sister's Computer

MattT
09-02-2003, 10:40 PM
Well, bad guess. Nothing in your computer sticks out as causing problems. Here are all of the reasons I have seen for freezing in Linux.

A main cause of freezing can be from bios settings. Try shutting off all plug and play and power management options in the bios.

It could also be Xfree86. Try this, start Knoppix with the boot option knoppix 2. This will start as text mode only. If it never freezes here then the problem is most likely XFree86. In this case edit the file /etc/X11/XF86Config-4. In the device section change the driver to vesa. Then use startx and see if it freezes. If possible also try using a different mouse and keyboard.

Hope you get it to work. Knoppix is a great OS :)

Dr Snark
09-02-2003, 10:44 PM
Yes i got it to Run on My sister's Computer

which is an old Gateway 333 Mhz with 128 MG of ram

but I just can't get it to Run on MIne

i like what i see when i got it to run, LOL

Dr Snark
09-03-2003, 12:38 AM
i got it not freeze when i did vesa But that's fine and dandy with the CD-ROM, but i don't to keep re-entering that every time i go to run off gthe CD, so now how do you get it to run in text mode when you install Knoppix?

there is NO X11 there

and the sound won't work
:x :x :x :x :x :x :x

Dr Snark
09-03-2003, 01:50 AM
Ok I finaly got it to work by playing with the BIOS and Stuff

but the sound card Won't work now!!!

this is getting annoying and i don't see the point ot wasteing another day with this!

Im removing it!

MattT
09-03-2003, 03:24 AM
If the vesa works you can just type knoppix xmodule=vesa at the boot prompt. Also try knoppix alsa to get sound working. For a hard drive install the trick is to get everything working before you install. Then when you install it will copy over the woking settings.

Dr Snark
09-03-2003, 11:16 PM
I get sound from the Games, but not From XMMS, or any WAV files.

Stephen
09-03-2003, 11:42 PM
I get sound from the Games, but not From XMMS, or any WAV files.

You can open a console window and ps xa | grep arts to check to see if the arts sound daemon is running which more than likely it is and it is blocking the output of the sound. You can either kill number_of_arts_process in a console window to kill of the process and your sound will work or you can become root by using su and then apt-get install xmms-arts and then configure XMMS to use the arts sound as the output device in the preferences.

Dr Snark
09-04-2003, 12:09 AM
Now i can get sound from the Games, but not Xmms or any MP3s

Whoops I didn't think that went through

Dr Snark
09-04-2003, 10:02 AM
Ok Got it working, -- re-installed KNoppix and did thw Alsa Thing and it worked Fine... It reconized my printer and gave me a while list of options for it (drivers) and I;vew tried every one and no luck! it wont Print.

and that Falken's Thing -- It starts up, then Quits -- what could that be -- I'm in Vesa Mode? or what?

rvijay
09-08-2003, 04:42 AM
Hello !! I am a new user having the same problem as well. Soon after boot screen goes blank. I got my CD from a very good online vendor, so no questions in this regard to quality.

I have an IBM Aptiva 333MHz, 156MB. PnP and Power Management disabled in BIOS.

Tried to boot as knoppix 2, knoppix noscsi, knoppix noide, knoppix nopcimca. Same results all the time. Monitor goes blank after boot.

I also have Damn Small Linux. Same results with that as well. Please help. Thanks.

Vijay

DaleEMoore
05-28-2004, 12:37 PM
I'm not sure if this relates but everything was fine after cdrom installation. Then I

# apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

and the the mouse freezes in KDE.

I found that brltty had been installed so I

# dpkg -r brltty

and I'm up and running again.

I hope this helps someone,
Dale E. Moore