PDA

View Full Version : Partimage Not Working please help ;-)

JamesX110
09-04-2003, 12:13 AM
I have booted knoppix 3.2-2003-09-26 on my laptop and on my workstation, these PC's are on a network and each knoppix desktop is using the network OK.

I have opened Xterm on the workstation and typed "sudo partimaged", and on the laptop I opened Xterm and typed "sudo partimage".

The problem is that on the laptop partimage keeps asking me for a username and password, I do not know the partimaged account details to get them working together.

I have used partimage to backup an NTFS partition into a file on a FAT32 partition on the same machine many times and it works OK.

I have not done it over a network before and I need some help from someone who has done this using 2 knoppix machines on a LAN.

Please Help anyone ;-)

Thanks,

JamesX110.................................

Henk Poley
09-04-2003, 04:41 PM
type "sudo passwd" on a console, and enter the new root password.

Don't think this will help...

rfc0815
09-05-2003, 02:35 PM
Hi James,
try this out:

On the workstation:
sudo
passwd partimag

Then you have to create a dir with write permission for the user "partimag".
Then start partimaged with the target-dir (I think parameter -d should do this?)

Then on the laptop:
sudo
partimage

If you are prompted for user and password you can enter username "partimag" and the matching password!

This should work!

Regards
RFC 0815

JamesX110
09-05-2003, 08:39 PM
Thanks rfc0815 I'll give it a try...............

However I'm new to Linux and don't know how to create a directory with the appropriate permissions for a user, I'm going to read around and try to learn some command's and stuff but if anyone could tell me how to do it with an example Syntax I'd appreciate it :D

Laterz,

JamesX110..................................... 8)

Dave_Bechtel
09-06-2003, 01:33 AM
' mkdir blah '
' chown partimag blah '
' chmod u+rwx blah '
' ls -l blah '

--More help can be found at my linuxtips site, look at the "www" icon at the bottom of my post. It's under "File manipulation" (but really should be in Changing file permissions; darn, I gotta reorg my website.)

Thanks rfc0815 I'll give it a try...............

However I'm new to Linux and don't know how to create a directory with the appropriate permissions for a user, I'm going to read around and try to learn some command's and stuff but if anyone could tell me how to do it with an example Syntax I'd appreciate it :D

Laterz,

JamesX110..................................... 8)

JamesX110
09-07-2003, 03:36 AM
Thanks everyone, it's working perfectly now :D

I'm new to Linux and am eager to ditch my Micro$haft OS as soon as I get to grips with Linux, but one thing I've learn't is that nothing is better than the Linux community for help and support 8)

I have only posted into Linux forums on the internet a couple of times for help but in nearly all cases I get a reply within minutes, that is spot on and sorts my issues out :lol:

Thanks................ laterz,

JamesX............................................ ...................................... 8)

ejohns11
12-26-2004, 04:57 AM
I'm a beginner/idiot :wink: trying his best to his his way into linux.

I was making the attempt to do the same procedure as the individual bove. I created a FAT32 partition (hda10) on the server machine to save the ghosted image, ran knoppix on the client machine fine, and ran into the uname and password issue. Attempting to create a directory and set permissions for the partimag user generated the following:

root@ttyp1[home]# chown partimag /mnt/hda10/home
chown: changing ownership of `/mnt/hda10/home': Operation not permitted

I'm out of ideas since I've had ZERO experience with linux up until today, so if someone could help I'd really appreciate it...

Oh, I'm using the CD version of Knoppix on both machines btw. That's probably the source of my issue, but i can't see why.

Dave_Bechtel
12-26-2004, 09:30 PM
--The problem you're experiencing is because FAT32 doesn't do permissions. Switch to a Linux-based partition/filesystem instead, like reiserfs (backup anything on HDA10 1st unless it's empty):

' umount /dev/hda10 '
' mkreiserfs /dev/hda10 '
' mount /mnt/hda10 -onotail,noatime ' == This *should* work but you might want to put those options in /etc/fstab...

' mkdir -p -v /mnt/hda10/home '
' chown partimag /mnt/hda10/home '
' ls -al /mnt/hda10 '

--Lemme know if it works.

I'm a beginner/idiot :wink: trying his best to his his way into linux.

I was making the attempt to do the same procedure as the individual bove. I created a FAT32 partition (hda10) on the server machine to save the ghosted image, ran knoppix on the client machine fine, and ran into the uname and password issue. Attempting to create a directory and set permissions for the partimag user generated the following:

root@ttyp1[home]# chown partimag /mnt/hda10/home
chown: changing ownership of `/mnt/hda10/home': Operation not permitted

I'm out of ideas since I've had ZERO experience with linux up until today, so if someone could help I'd really appreciate it...

Oh, I'm using the CD version of Knoppix on both machines btw. That's probably the source of my issue, but i can't see why.

ejohns11
12-26-2004, 10:30 PM
I had that feeling about FAT32 but i thought that things might be a little different since I was using linux.

One question before I proceed: will I be able to restore the backup to the client machine? It's NTFS and I know there have been some complications when it comes to writing to that file system from a linux based machine. I don't wanna wipe the client machine clean and never have the chance to go back to my old setup because i have a ghost that I can't even use.

Thanks,
E

ejohns11
12-27-2004, 03:47 AM
Looks like I may have found my own solution.

Ghost to ReiserFS and then use Yareg - a ReiserFS partition explorer tool - to copy the data back to any windows based file system you want. It's found here:

http://yareg.akucom.de/

Just posting in case anyone runs into the same problem I do.

E

Dave_Bechtel
12-27-2004, 06:07 PM
--If you are using partimage or dd, there should be no problem writing to NTFS - both of those utils can write directly to the *disk*, instead of a mounted filesystem. Basically, dd and partimage *recreate* the filesystem from your backup; so you should be OK... As long as you are backing up " /dev/blah " and not " /mnt/blah/* " if you get my meaning.

Example:
' dd if=/dev/blah of=/mnt/hda10/home/ntfsbackup--hdaX--machinename-20041227.dd bs=5M '
' time gzip -9 /mnt/hda10/home/ntfsbackup--hdaX--machinename-20041227.dd & '

--You will also run into problems using Fat32 for a destination during backup, because it has a 2GB filesize limit. Best to use Reiserfs or Ext3, IMHO.

--When restoring, you should *ALWAYS* leave the destination partition (NTFS) unmounted(!) since it will be overwritten.

--BTW, it's also a good idea to have something like this along with the backup:
' fdisk -l > fdisk-l-thisbox-20041227.txt '

I had that feeling about FAT32 but i thought that things might be a little different since I was using linux.

One question before I proceed: will I be able to restore the backup to the client machine? It's NTFS and I know there have been some complications when it comes to writing to that file system from a linux based machine. I don't wanna wipe the client machine clean and never have the chance to go back to my old setup because i have a ghost that I can't even use.

Thanks,
E