PDA

View Full Version : 2 cdroms and dvd:problems to mount them

bronstein
09-04-2003, 08:16 AM
Hello again. My last problem is I can't see cdrom icons. I have 3: a cdr, a cd rw, and a dvd r. I have created 3 files to mount them in \mnt, I have written sentences like these at \etc\fstab:
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/cdrom1 /mnt/cdrom1 iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/sr1 /mnt/dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0

File to mount are:
\mnt\dvd
\mnt\cdrom
\mnt\cdrom1

I have done "rebuildfstab -r" as root and "mkdesktophdicons" as a normal user.
I have got All this information on this forum, but I am able to get only one icon for cd linked to my dvd. I can listen music on my dvd but not in the others, and sometime I can read cds on my dvd but never in the others.
What am I doing bad.
Thank you very much for your answers

Stephen
09-04-2003, 09:48 AM
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/cdrom1 /mnt/cdrom1 iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/sr1 /mnt/dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0

You want to change these /dev/??? lines to /dev/scd0,1,2 to access the devices without seeing how they are connected I can't tell you about the cd-rom or cdrw should be but the dvd-r will be scd1 or you can continue to use the sr1 device link if you wish I always use the actual device. To see what the other would be look at the output of dmesg | less scsi the lines from my output:

>$ dmesg | grep scsi
scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 40x/40x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray

As you can see here my burner gets attached at sr0 which is linked to scd0 which is what I use in the fstab.

>$ ls -ls /dev/sr0
512 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 2003-07-21 23:18 /dev/sr0 -> scd0

The line in the fstab:
/dev/scd0 /cdrom iso9660 ro,user,noauto 0 0

So use the dmesg command and find where the drives are attached and update the fstab with the proper entries and you will have access to them. You will have up date the icons on your desktop to reflect the changes in the fstab. If you have trouble post the output of the dmesg | grep scsi command so I can see it.