PDA

View Full Version : Possible Bug : Question on the shutdown and log off scripts

johncarlson21
09-05-2003, 12:42 AM
I have a problem with shutting down from Knoppix vs. 3.2 7-26 a HD Install. When I log off or shutdown from KDE it locks up. BUT if I run a shutdown or reboot from the SHELL it works perfectly shutsdown just fine. If anyone could help with this, it would be greatly appreciated. maybe there could be something I could change in the shutdown script or log off script.
Thanks in advance. All in all I love this version of Knoppix. Keep up the good work. Kan't wait for the knext version.

paradocs
09-05-2003, 05:33 AM
Greetings johncarlson21,

I expect the shut down process has to with
running in the CD mode. When I shut down
I get to press enter and then it thanks you
by letting you have you knoppix disk.

Read the 143 line shut down procedure in the file
/etc/init.d/knoppix-halt

It looks a bit complicated but it is doing it by the
books for a multi-user system. In the old days
the disk pack read write head floated on a cushion
of air. An improper spin down sequence had a very
high likelihood of doing big damage.

What I like most about KNOPPIX is not having
to look at that M$ screen -- telling me that if
I had only shut down properly, I would not have
to stare at the progress bars.

Since I operate from CD I rather enjoy killing
every thing with the good old power switch :wink:

Best Wishes
paradocs

johncarlson21
09-05-2003, 03:06 PM
Thanks I will take a look at it and check that out....

johncarlson21
09-05-2003, 09:58 PM
I didn't see anything in there that would help me but it would be greatly appreciated if someone could help me..... :(

Dave_Bechtel
09-06-2003, 12:46 AM
"Doctor, when I do this my arm falls off!"
(Doctor) Don't do that then...

-Just kidding. :lol:

--Personally, if that's what it takes to shutdown correctly, you can try hitting Ctrl-Alt-Del. If it's defined correctly in /etc/inittab, it will shutdown the system.

( From /etc/inittab )
ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -h now

--Some people have ' shutdown -r now ' which reboots instead.

I have a problem with shutting down from Knoppix vs. 3.2 7-26 a HD Install. When I log off or shutdown from KDE it locks up. BUT if I run a shutdown or reboot from the SHELL it works perfectly shutsdown just fine. If anyone could help with this, it would be greatly appreciated. maybe there could be something I could change in the shutdown script or log off script.
Thanks in advance. All in all I love this version of Knoppix. Keep up the good work. Kan't wait for the knext version.

johncarlson21
09-06-2003, 06:42 PM
I could do that I suppose but I really would like to get the stupid thing to work right anyway...... I don't understand it worked fine in version 3.1 I guess I don't know what the difference could be...

Dave_Bechtel
09-06-2003, 09:37 PM
--Your best bet may be to go to the KDE site and look for a bugreport on it. If there isn't one, file one so they know about the problem. ;-)

I could do that I suppose but I really would like to get the stupid thing to work right anyway...... I don't understand it worked fine in version 3.1 I guess I don't know what the difference could be...