PDA

View Full Version : remaster knoppix in windows

thewretchedbeaver
01-21-2003, 06:22 PM
is there a way that i can remove and add programs to knoppix from a windows enviroment, because i'm very new to linux as a whole but i like it alot

thewretchedbeaver
01-21-2003, 06:27 PM
also pending enough ram on the computer, could it be possible to make a knoppix disk that would run counter strike straight from the knoppix disk, i know that this would take alot of ram, but it is a project i was thinking about

Carlos_E_Morimoto
01-21-2003, 07:35 PM
You dont need windows, you can use the knoppix Cd to remaster the Knoppix CD ;-) You just need a Linux partition with 3 GB of free space

01-21-2003, 08:29 PM
but the problem with remastering in knoppix is that it seems pretty technical and i will be remastering it at home on my windows system for use at the school computer lab computers, one of my main goals is to have it so it loads up gaim with my accounts and buddylists automaticly among other things i want to change such as swap mozilla for opera

Carlos_E_Morimoto
01-21-2003, 10:17 PM
I don't agree that is dificult.. You just need to past (with the center button of the mouse :-) the commands of the Knoppix Remastering How-to available in this website. Inside the chroot you just need to install the programs link in any other Linux, its really pretty simple.

You just need to try and post here if you have any problem.

01-21-2003, 11:51 PM
it's hard for someone who only knows windows to do the stuff in that how to maybe if there was an easier way, maybe something inside the linux gui

dvessey
01-22-2003, 02:56 AM
well, to answer your original question, no, there's no way to re-master knoppix from windows. Although, if all you have is a windows partition, then you're definately going to have to learn some things about linux, cause you're going to have to create a ext2 loopback filesystem on your windows partition in order to re-master knoppix. I'm not exactly sure how to do this or whether it will even work though :)

Just read through the re-mastering how to. if you don't understand stuff about linux, there are plenty of sites out there to help you just with that(www.linuxlaboratory.org, www.linuxnewbie.org). Ask questions, but many people here REALLY hate it when someone comes on here expecting someone else to do all the work for them :)

thewretchedbeaver
01-22-2003, 05:06 PM
i never wanted anybody else to do it for me, then i couldn't repeat it or learn form it

aay
01-22-2003, 05:24 PM
I know it may seem really hard to remaster, but do yourself a favor and give it a try nonetheless. You can find the howto here http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixRemasteringHowto

If you run into problems just go to the irc chanel and there are people there who would be glad to help you.

The upshot of this is you'll learn some things in the process of doing this and find out that it's not as hard as you think.

BerDtvdL
01-24-2003, 09:06 PM
Can't I remaster in VMware ?

aay
01-25-2003, 12:41 AM
I haven't tried this myself but it would be interesting to see how it goes. Just follow the normal remastering instructions. I just hope you've got a lot of RAM!

Take care,

Adam

drfreak
01-25-2003, 08:46 AM

Sure you can. It's my preferred mastering environment actually, because I can test how it boots without burning a CD and restarting my computer every time.

01-25-2003, 10:27 PM
Tecnical level linux newbie.
I'm trying to make a new knoppix cd for self and a friend.

I downloaded an english iso image file from Knoppix for the Jan 20 03 version. I downloaded Nero. (also tried CD Mate) per the Burning Faq.

The file is 698 MB Knoppix_v3.1-3003-01-20-en .

My CD-r size is 657MB The disk label says 650MB.

The burner software with a blank CD-r disk generates an error message,
"Not enought room ..."

How is this done. Does linnux record more than 650 on a disk?
Is there a way to do it in windows (running XP home).

Additional notes:
I have debian installed on a second partition and have an october version of knoppix I can use, also.
I have read the faq for burning knoppix from linux, if I have to do this I will need to redownload the knoppix file into a linux partition? or can I mount the
xp file from debian across partitions?

John
01-25-2003, 10:52 PM
You need some bigger CD-Rs, the 700mb/80 minute size.

dan
01-27-2003, 04:39 AM
current knoppix disc burned and running to post this reply.
Thanks, John.

tuxtom
01-27-2003, 10:06 AM
Can't I remaster in VMware ?I think it should be possible to create the iso image in vmware. But then you have to burn the image somewhere else, for burning is afaik not supported by vmware.
I use vmware since V1.0? and with every new release I've tried burning again.
They say it should be possible in raw cd mode, but I didn't succed until now.
e.g. nero seems working - but after burning I don't find anything on the cd.

tom

Flibble
01-27-2003, 02:29 PM

Sure you can. It's my preferred mastering environment actually, because I can test how it boots without burning a CD and restarting my computer every time.

Plus the suspend feature is a boon. A lot of the time I need to stop in the middle of remastering and its a pain to have to come out of the chroot and then go back in again when I want to continue. This way you hit suspend, shut down your PC, come back and hit resume and everything pops back exactly as you left it (even in the middle of dpkg updates!). Unfortunately everything comes at a price and VMWare ain't cheap. For what you get with it though I think its good value.

Berdt
01-31-2003, 01:31 AM
Can't I remaster in VMware ?I think it should be possible to create the iso image in vmware. But then you have to burn the image somewhere else, for burning is afaik not supported by vmware.
I use vmware since V1.0? and with every new release I've tried burning again.
They say it should be possible in raw cd mode, but I didn't succed until now.
e.g. nero seems working - but after burning I don't find anything on the cd.
tom

You can't burn from vmware. So what? That doesn't matter!. After finishing my iso, I ftp it to Windows, and from Windows I am testing it ... using another VM!

VMware rules!

Myrgamez
02-13-2003, 10:32 PM
Wow the things i have learned in this forum is great, who neads school when this forum is online...
When :twisted: hypnotix :twisted: is running i will keep you all informed!!!

... I am not a dropout by the way ...

(check your insert when programming)

john_robot
02-19-2003, 12:43 AM
Why Can't my K see HD from VMWare on XP?

eadz
02-19-2003, 01:44 AM
well, to answer your original question, no, there's no way to re-master knoppix from windows. Although, if all you have is a windows partition, then you're definately going to have to learn some things about linux, cause you're going to have to create a ext2 loopback filesystem on your windows partition in order to re-master knoppix. I'm not exactly sure how to do this or whether it will even work though :)

Nope, almost..but the max size for a file on fat32 is 2Gb ( the 2 gig limit )

so you can't remaster knoppix ( it's more than 2 gig uncompressed - but that includes the ext2 stuff as part of the 2 gig thats why it's larger ).

You could remaster a small remaster such as knoppix_lite.

Myrgamez
02-19-2003, 09:37 AM
you might wanna try morphix heavy GUI... izz cewl. not that big